Roasting

garyscottadamson

Apr 8, 2007
UK
Visit site
I've had a grinder now for around 1 month and I think I'm going to give roasting a go.

Can I buy green beans in blends (ie. espresso), or can they only be purchased in single origin. If they can only be purchased single origin could somebody please give me an idea of origin quantities for an espresso blend.

I believe I can use my oven to do this, am I correct?

thanks

ElPugDiablo

garyscottadamson said:
I've had a grinder now for around 1 month and I think I'm going to give roasting a go.

Can I buy green beans in blends (ie. espresso), or can they only be purchased in single origin. If they can only be purchased single origin could somebody please give me an idea of origin quantities for an espresso blend.

I believe I can use my oven to do this, am I correct?

thanks
bean roasting is pretty somky, so be sure your oven is well vented. Go to sweetmaria.com for tips on how to start home roasting.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
I don't know anything about bean roasting, but do know there are several good blends available in geen bean form. One popular blend is Greenline from Metropolis Coffee, which is the green form of Redline. Sweet Maria's has (I think) several green blends available and have lots of info on their site. Later!

Black Dog

May 8, 2007
Visit site
Roasting coffee requires that the beans be in motion to evenly absorb heat. That might be tough to acheive in an oven.
Take a look (as others have suggested) at Sweetmarias.com and look at their home roasting rigs. You can also use a hot air popcorn popper but they don't give you much control over the profile.
Many people also use the heatgun/dogbowl method. Simply heat the beans in a stainless steel bowl while stirring with a wooden spoon.
Roasting is great fun, but be warned. It can become an obsession!

jlyon10

Super Moderator
Feb 16, 2007
Clemmons, NC
Visit site
Home Roasting

Home roasting is a great hobby. You can start out inexpensive with something like a Fresh Roast Plus 8, which is fun and very easy to use. My passion is home roasting, check out my web site, I have links for home roasting machines and I sell green coffee beans. I unfortunately don't have any blends. I sell mostly single origin green beans. Check it out.