RocketFuel XXX!!!

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Recently I got in touch with a member of this forum, coffeeloverlisa as she was/is wanting members here to give her beans a try. I asked for something espresso specific and she hasn't covered that base yet, so I went to her site at www.rocketfuelcoffee.com and looked through what she has to offer. I decided on the XXX, which is a blend of three high quality varieties of beans...... Kona, Sumatra and Jamaican Blue. Lisa was very kind to send me out a 5 oz. sample rather quickly, which was packaged nicely in a foil lined pouch and I couldn't wait to open it. The beans smelled quite nice, with no exterior oils and had a great medium roast look, kind of milk chocolate in color.

First ground some on a medium-fine setting and used that for drip, which was quite nice. Lots of body, a little bit of acidity (nice) and a mellow aftertaste. No harshness or bitterness whatsoever. I've only been drinking high quality coffee for 2-3 years now and am just getting to the point of being able to distinguish different notes and I liked what was apparent in this blend for drip.

Then onto my favorite... the spro. I pulled 4-5 doubles with it on my Cremina lever machine. It pulled nicely being about 90% crema, but the color/taste was off a bit compared to other espresso specific profiles. They were good shots, but had a bit too much acidity to really come off nicely like you get with darker roasts. The color was a bit lighter as well, but all-in-all better than I expected.

To be fair, I have severe allergies and have to take alot of meds, including Benadryl 3-5 times daily, and this can alter my sense of taste. I do give Lisa and her beans two thumbs up. Make sure you try some of her samples if she has anything left. Later!

C

coffeeloverlisa

Thanks so much Shadow745! Glad you are feeling better.

Your review will go on my blog, stuffy nose and all.

Cheers!

Lisa

C

coffeeloverlisa

Hello coffee luvers,

Have not posted in a while since starting a business is no easy task, but I thought I would drop in and tell of a new coffee in my corral that is so lovely and different, you might want to take a peak.

And it's cousin is coming to visit next month... HACIENDA ESMERELDA I kid you not!

But a couple of days ago we launched Panama Carmen Estate and this stuff is so delicious you would not believe it.

Dark chocolate, rich tones and a bitter back tongue thing with a bright fruit.

Maybe not the most technical taste description, but hey I only call 'em as I taste 'em.

And I know you will enjoy my painting on the label too.

Cheers!