Ruining the milk foam with cocoa powder? Please help!

Anajoeri

Sep 2, 2005
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Visit site
Hello everyone,
I am having a problem and I am hoping you can help. One of the special things planned to do in our coffee shop is to put chocolate powder on the foamy drinks... in certain shapes. We have some very cool stencels. Now...the problem is that the chocolate powder ruins the foam. Could you please tell me what do you use on the lattes or cappuccinos to not ruin the foam? I tried pure cocoa powder, chocolate powder, I also tried to put less or more, but none helped...

Muddycup

Dec 4, 2005
New York
Visit site
May I suggest that you put the cocao powder out in a shaker for the customer to put on their drink, this way your foam is great when you serve the drink and not all customers want choc, some prefer cinnimon or nothing at all.

cindy

Feb 8, 2005
South Africa
Visit site
i agree with muddycup!

let the customer ruin his own foam.

he can blame you for bad foam if you put the powder on but if he does it in the exact same way he will probably end up liking it (weird isnt it?)

hope it helped.

cindy

Feb 8, 2005
South Africa
Visit site
i agree with muddycup!

let the customer ruin his own foam.

he can blame you for bad foam if you put the powder on but if he does it in the exact same way he will probably end up liking it (weird isnt it?)

hope it helped.

nzroaster

Jul 28, 2004
Qld, Australia
Visit site
May I suggest that you need to re-evaluate your milktexturing technique?
If you are producing a velvety smooth dense foam then the cocoa should not ruin it. It can only be ruined if the air particles in your milk are large enough to be broken down the cocoa.

aeneas1

Mar 22, 2005
Visit site
if you want to achieve the look you are shooting for while also allowing your customers to sprinkle their own cocoa, it seems that you would have to provide your customers with the stencils as well! now that would be something new!

seriously, it's clear that you want to offer a great presentation using cocoa as oppossed to just having a shaker full of cocoa sitting at the self-serve coffee condiment area which would defeat your plan entirely. but as far as what you might try is concerned, i haven't the foggiest as everything i have ever used bleeds/runs into the foam.... if you do eventually solve your challenge, please share!

ElPugDiablo

Anajoeri said:
Hello everyone,
I am having a problem and I am hoping you can help. One of the special things planned to do in our coffee shop is to put chocolate powder on the foamy drinks... in certain shapes. We have some very cool stencels. Now...the problem is that the chocolate powder ruins the foam. Could you please tell me what do you use on the lattes or cappuccinos to not ruin the foam? I tried pure cocoa powder, chocolate powder, I also tried to put less or more, but none helped...

Something like this?

http://www.espressovivace.com/gal_19.html