Running coffee through drip maker twice?

deathduck

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi, when I use my coffee maker I like to only make one cup at a time. I feel the water is not in contact with the ground up beans long enough to fully extract the goods, so I was wondering:

Would it be ok to run the coffee through this thing twice? IE, make the coffee, then pour it back in the tank so it goes through the grounds again? I''m worried this will ruin my new ''mr. coffee'' maker I got for Christmas, but I really wana try it.

Has anyone ever tried this, or is it completly out of the question?

davidsbiscotti

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
I've considered doing that as well. I wouldn't pour coffee back into the machine though, things could get messy.

A french press ($25) is what you're ultimately going to need. The grounds are mixed into hot water and allowed to steep for a few minutes, then the grounds are filtered out with the press. It's a simple method and you won't need filters anymore.

carl915

Jan 23, 2008
Visit site
I do that every once and awhile. The key is if the coffee starts getting bitter, then you''ve done it too much.

By the way, this is my first post, so hi everyone!

Carmine Domenaco

Oct 10, 2007
Visit site
Try grinding your coffee finer. More surface area and smaller particle size is a one two punch to longer extraction times.

Also, the brewed coffee will lay oils all through your water system and after a while it will impact the flavors of whatever new coffee you are brewing.

davidsbiscotti

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Yes, a finer grind does provide for better flavor I've noticed, whether in my auto drip or french press. Even my cheap manual coffee grinder is now at a much finer setting. I'm getting deeper flavors from my Kenyan that I hadn't noticed before. It takes a little longer to brew, so it delivers the effect you're looking for.