Sacred Cows and Taboos of the Coffee Industry (arrrrg)

tlowing

Jan 19, 2008
Cocoa Beach, FL
Visit site
Just getting into the business and I'm already seeing plenty of taboos and sacred cows that spark heated discussions. Just got in an argument with my wife when I had a conversation with someone recommending a naked portafilter. Anyone notice any others?

* Creamer
* Flavored coffee
* burr grinder vs blade grinder
* conical vs wheel burr grinder
* Fetco vs Bunn
* pour over vs French press (Infusion) drip brewers
* Naked Portafilters
* Espresso Cup Shape
* Flame roaster vs IR Roaster vs fluid bed roaster
* Flat vs concave vs convex tamper
* manual vs semi-auto vs full auto espresso machines

http://roasterz.com/?q=node/31

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Jeremey..what about customers that want to buy it? I sell loads of flavored coffee..can you imagine throwing away 50,000 lbs in sales a month? I do not care for flavored coffee but there is a market for it. By the way give me a call sometime...would love to catch up!
Topher

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Some people can. Those are the one's who will call themselves purist. Then the people who embrace it our the one's who are gaining a market share and expanding business because of it.

Its all about ones principals and how they stand on them. What you see as profit can be seen to another as a blight on their good name. I'm one for what the market wants, but I have seen enough people who stand behind their product that even though they may be loosing out on potential profit they still aren't going out of business because of it.