Saeco Incanto Sirius

Status
Not open for further replies.

jason1466

May 2, 2005
Washington DC
Visit site
slugline,

I have had my Sirius for 6 months or so now. Although I was concerned about the excess water at first, I must say it hasn't had any real negative effect other than the hassle of emptying the tray every few days to a week depending on usage level. So probably every 15 cups I guess. I had tried a Jura from WS before the Sirius, and it had even more excess water per cup as I recall. Some internet retailer along the way mentioned to me that this is a sign of inferior manufacturing and boilers, but I cannot validate this claim as this is the first Super Auto I have ever owned. I am still happy and wouldn't go back to life without my Sirius.

Hope this helps,
Jason

slugline

Nov 12, 2005
Visit site
Incanto Sirius

Thanks, Jason.

I think my first two Incanto Sirius machines leak more than yours. With a complete dry drip tray, I get a puddles almost big enough to fill the complete bottom surface on a rinse or brew.

I talked to a couple owners of Jura machines today and they said they get zero water coming from inside machine? The only water they claim is when they forget to put cup under any of the heads, etc.

Which Jura model do you have? I considering the F9 or S9. The only think I don't like from the video is, you need to take apart and soak the frothing parts everyday. All I do is wipe off and rinse my Incanto...

jason1466

May 2, 2005
Washington DC
Visit site
I had the F9 for 3 weeks and it leaked much worse than the Sirius. Both Saeco and Jura said it was normal unless it filled up the drip tray every 4-5 cups I think. I also recall the Jura F9 feeling very plastic for so much money, so I went with and stuck with the Sirius. Oh, if you are still comparing, I also remember that the Jura's brew unit was non-removable, and Capresso themselves told me the machines can need routine cleaning of the brew unit, which means sending back to them at your expense :( If I were you I would see exactly how many cups you make before the drip tray fills up, and then call Saeco with that info to see what they say?

slugline

Nov 12, 2005
Visit site
Jura vs Incanto

Yes, that's true on the brew unit. Plus, you can't turn off the prebrew which many claim ruins a good expresso. Watch the Jura video about disassembling, soaking and cleaning froth wand daily and that will cause some pause.

I agree about dishing out 2 to 3K for a plastic Jura. Perhaps I'll run with the Incanto Sirius until Jura builds a machine to justify there pricing. I can't imagine the coffee being twice as good as the Saeco Incanto Sirius makes.

weathertop

Nov 18, 2005
Visit site
Incanto Sirius

JerseyGuy:

Now that you've had your machine for several months, I'm hoping that you could help with your thoughts on the following:

(1) How is long-term use going? Any leaks? I've read elsewhere that the Incanto series was used by Starbucks, but Starbucks took their branded models off the market due to leaks...any problems on your end?

(2) Have you noticed any burn-in images on the LCD display? And, just wondering, is the LCD backlit?

JerseyGuy

Feb 3, 2005
Freehold, NJ
Visit site
Re: Incanto Sirius

slugline said:
After comparing Jura models at WS I decided on the Incanto Sirius. Cosmetically it seemed so much better built with stainless body, etc.

So far it's starting to dial in pretty nice thru trial and error. My biggest concern is the puddle of water in dry drip try after a rinse cycle or brew?

I returned to WS and 2nd unit did the same thing? I guess this is normal?

This is normal. I clean the unit and empty the tray nightly and have not had any problems with overflow.

cyberdude191

Dec 27, 2006
Visit site
reset to defaults

Hi all,

Well i have been playing with the hidden menu quite a lot. and would like to restore everything to original factory settings.

if i choose the "restore original factory settings" in the regular menu will it revert all the changes i have made?

if not, can someone be so kind to list all their settings with the wording from the hidden menu?

Malabar

Sep 6, 2007
Oslo, Norway
Visit site
Hi there, a new user here :)

I''ve read this forum and this thread is very helpful. However, I do have some questions for you on the Solis Incanto Sirius. I just got it (for half price, a steal!) and I am in the process of getting it to perform to my whishes. So thanks to everyone who have given so much good input in this thread. So, here goes

I see that some refer to a blank shot, I assume this is a shot of pure, hot water through the machine. How do I accomplish that with beans in the coffee chamber?

With Prebrew option on, there is an initial squirt, than a pause, then the real stuff arrives. When do you place the cup, before or after the initial squirt?

An immediate letdown is that the grinder adjustment knob seems to be stuck. The manual says it can only be adjusted while the grinder is operating. I take that means while it''s actually grinds coffee, wich is a short period of time... Anyways, it''s a limit of how much brute force I want to expose onto the plastic knob, I might have to take it back for service. So currently I''m stuck with the finest grind.

I too experience wet dregs and quite messy brew unit. Obviously behavior by design, but kind of dissapointing at this price range.

Oh well, off to find a propper measurement glass in order to calibrate the amount of water :-D

leepark

Oct 6, 2007
Visit site
lots of q's - cleaning, filter, temperature, and on/off

How do you clean and maintain your machine? What are the different tasks that must be done? Which product(s), for what task (decalcify, clean, etc.), do you use and how often do you use it? Eg, how do you clean the brew group? I tried rinsing the brew group (as per instructions in manual) with running water but it didn't seem to work very well as the lubricant made it messier than prior to cleaning. Is it better to just clean it with a brush?

Also, when installing the Aqua Prima filter do you have to remove the water tank filter (the small white webbed cap that's at the bottom of the bank)? It doesn't say anything about the removal in the manual but on the DVD it does.

Is there a way to make the coffee hotter (other than warm cups)?

Is it OK to leave the machine ON 24/7? Is it better to turn OFF the machine or leave in the energy saving, STANDBY mode (or leave it ON)?

DjPiLL

Apr 5, 2007
Visit site
Re: lots of q's - cleaning, filter, temperature, and on/off

leepark said:
How do you clean and maintain your machine? What are the different tasks that must be done? Which product(s), for what task (decalcify, clean, etc.), do you use and how often do you use it? Eg, how do you clean the brew group? I tried rinsing the brew group (as per instructions in manual) with running water but it didn't seem to work very well as the lubricant made it messier than prior to cleaning. Is it better to just clean it with a brush?

Also, when installing the Aqua Prima filter do you have to remove the water tank filter (the small white webbed cap that's at the bottom of the bank)? It doesn't say anything about the removal in the manual but on the DVD it does.

Is there a way to make the coffee hotter (other than warm cups)?

Is it OK to leave the machine ON 24/7? Is it better to turn OFF the machine or leave in the energy saving, STANDBY mode (or leave it ON)?

Nice to see this thread getting a bump. I have had my Sirius since March. Nice machine.

I just rinse out the drip tray, dreg basket, and the brew unit under the sink whenever it says unit full. The lubricant eventually goes away. I just make sure the bin where the coffee sits and the part that moves the coffee to the drawer are clean.

As far as descaling goes... I haven't descaled yet (pulled 600 shots so far). I am surprised it hasn't asked me to run a descal cycle. I may run it anyways... maybe this weekend just to stay on top of the cleaning.

I don't remember removing anything on the filter. Maybe I was supposed to? Not sure.

I just went into the hidden menu to make the coffee hotter as per one poster on here. Bumped it up to 130degrees C. Coffee seems a little hotter. But then again I drink 99% iced coffees so the hot coffee isn't that much of an issue.

I turn the machine off with the switch in the back when I am done. I don't see an need to leave it on.

Malabar

Sep 6, 2007
Oslo, Norway
Visit site
Hello again, it's time for an update, where I mostly answer my own comments and Qs.

Blank shot, right. It took me some time to figure that one out, actually by accident. So for you who are as dumb as me, here goes: Select preground coffee, and do not insert pregrund coffee in the chamber. Run a smal cup though the system.

The dregs are now more drier, not the mire it was the first one or two empty cycles. Upped the max dregs to 16, noproblems there. I've also rised the temperature of the max temperature setting to match my preferences, so thank you for revealing the "hidden" meny.

As I use standby mode and timer, the rinse process produces some waste water. To avoid the spill tray filling up, I use the steel milk can to collect the spill water from the rinse and blank shot.

As I use prebrew, I do place the cup after the initial squirt. I might change my behavior now that I discovered the blank shot method.

The grinder is still stuck, it's only my own fault that it has not been serviced. Luckily enough for me, it seems to be stuck where I want it.

In Norway we do not have hard water, which the test strip also confirmed, and I set my maching accordingly. So far I've not been asked to do any other maintenance but empty the dreg drawer

Else the coffee produced by this machine is as excellent as it can be. I've given away my old top stove espresso boilers, and my french press cans re currently idling.

RonB

Nov 15, 2007
Visit site
Great so far...thanks to this thread

Just got my Saeco Incant Sirius 4 days ago, and thanks to this thread, I''ve probably gained 6 months of experience. Great shots for coffee, cappucino and lattes. Just wondering, is the cup warmer surface \"scratch resistant\" enough to allow you to place the porcelain cups on it? It seems like it could scratch easily, and I don''t want to wreck the beautiful finish.

R.

RonB

Nov 15, 2007
Visit site
Cafe Crema

Another question: I'm trying to get a good cup of coffee from my Incanto:

If you select a LARGE cup, 3 bean shot, would this be considered a large 'coffee' ie: Cafe Crema.; I find that even with 3 beans and the SBS turned to 3:00, the coffee is kind of watery; it comes out dark for about 15 seconds then goes light. I've tried Americano style, but diluting the expresso with water isn't my taste. It seems to me that the machine is actually preparing the coffee "americano' style, because at about the 25 second mark, it looks like almost water is coming out.
Any comments on what settings you are all using for coffee?

Cheers,

R.

angler

Nov 24, 2007
Visit site
Does anyone have any idea why the puck container is like mud. My old Saeco machine had nice dry pucks. This one is like sludge. Is this a design choice?

Also, does anyone have the factory temperature settings for the hidden menu? And if I reset to factory settings does it also change the hiden menu I fiddled with?

Status
Not open for further replies.