safety issues of unwashed coffee pot...

djohnston

Jan 28, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Visit site
Hi coffee lovers, newbie here. I had a question relating to the hygiene regarding our coffee pot. We have a Krups metal carafe-style pot that keeps the coffee warm longer than a glass pot. The heating element turns off about 10 minutes after the end of brewing, and the thermal carafe then does its job pretty well. The problem is cleaning; it''s really hard to get one''s hand inside the carafe to do a good scrubbing, though not impossible. My wife takes the easy way out and simply does a quick rinse of the carafe then sets it up for the next morning''s brew.
Is there any danger to leaving the residue from previous brewings in the carafe? Is there any chance of them going rancid? Will this spoil the flavor of the next day''s coffee? Thanks!

davidsbiscotti

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
If it's for a commercial kitchen, I'd recommend soaking it in hot soapy water for a short time,
then using one of these:

quickiemfg-uhm.jpg

If it's just for home use, I'd just rinse it out after each use.
Unless there's someone in the house with a weaker immune system,
children or the elderly for example.

CafeBlue

Dec 8, 2006
Toronto
Visit site
Cascade automatic dishwashing detergent works well to clean thermal caraffes, stainless steel and glass. Just pour about a teaspoon of powder or gel into the caraffe, then fill with hot water. Stir it with a brush to clean any stubborn stains, then empty and rinse clear.
The advantage to household automatic dishwashing detergent is: rinses clear quickly vs hand dishwasing soap which clings and does not rinse clear as easily. Cascade cleans easily most stains, especially if you follow the procedure daily...it may never require scrubbing or 'steeping'.