Sage Barista Express steam ring

connectcreative

Nov 27, 2017
Visit site
First post on here!

I've just picked up a used Barista Express (about 10 months old) and want to ensure everything is in tip top condition. I'm looking to replace the steam ring located inside the group head, has anyone done this and if so did it improve the performance / restore lost pressure of the machine?

Even when using fresh beans and a 'perfect' 12 o'clock pressure gauge (with single wall filter) I still have very little crema. Still, that's a post for another day!

Thanks in advance for any replies.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
No experience with any Breville machines, but you're referring to the group gasket. I've seen some articles/videos on it being done and it looks to be more involved than what is required with most semi-auto type machines. The gasket either seals or leaks, no in between really. You likely won't see any 'performance' gains unless the old one is leaking badly.

The crema is influenced by freshness, coffee origin, grind fineness, etc. How fresh is your coffee and what is it (location, roast level, etc.)?

connectcreative

Nov 27, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for your input, appreciated. I changed it anyway since I had the spare part ordered already. Appears to work fine and like you said there is no performance gain at all. Given the machine is virtually a year old and the manual mentions changing this from time to time I did it anyway.

Coffee beans - yet to order some really fresh beans. I tried a bag I'd ordered off an eBay store that 'claimed' to be roasted to order but was not convinced, very little crema despite trying a range of grind settings, tamp etc. Will try again with a local roaster I've just found.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Yeah a local roaster or the commonly mentioned online artisan roasters should work well for you. Personally I wouldn't bother with eBay, Amazon, etc. sellers. You could also touch base with member 'Topher' as he roasts, but I don't know how he markets the coffees (retail, wholesale, etc.).

Keep in mind that although crema is a good indication of freshness, some coffees produce more than others due to being single origin, blends, some having robusta, etc.