Samples of Employee Training Manuals?

jellyfish

Aug 26, 2006
Visit site
I would *cough* like some training and policy manuals also... Would be interesting to see just how certain companies run their business.

cafemakers

Nov 3, 2004
Visit site
I can see how obtaining a copy of someone else's training manual can be helpful as a shortcut or give you some ideas to include in your own; however, I fear that due to the amazing demand for this item that the "me toos" are pinning their hopes on being able train their employees to cook a food product (yes, coffee is food) after reading a book.

I'm right now in the process of rewriting the espresso classes for the SCAA conference this year in Long Beach; we've got nearly 8 hours worth of content developed (boiled down from probably a week's worth), which only scratches the surface of what a retailer should know to produce espresso and some espresso-based beverages. The 60 pages of accompanying documentation goes a long way to describe the content, but offers little in the way of security that a reader will be capable of performing some fairly intricate tasks on-the-job.

If you cannot sit down and write an operations or training manual for your own business, you need "training," not a "training manual" to help you. You cannot learn how to play a musical instrument or drive a car from reading a manual - performing as a Barista is no different. Guided experience is the only way to learn a performance skill.

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
What?????

You mean you can't get a grinder dealy, some coffee beans and one of them-there expresso machines, with training from the salesman, and be a bear-ee-sta???
:wink:

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
You have to be careful...I went to this shop a few weeks ago and they had some nice machinery. I was stoked..a new coffee shop with nice equipment. I ordered my coffee and it looked like iced tea. The person working asked me what I thought. I usually lie and say oh its great. This time I was honest. I told them their grind might be off. I showed them how to set their grinder and what not. Turns out a sales person sold them the grinders and brewers and promised to teach them..once it was installed they never heard from him again. He was so nice to them that he even left them with Logo'd paper and ceramic cups..only problem was it was coffee he sold..better yet they sell their own brand...I have known that sales person for about 9 years...I lost a lot of respect that day. Good news is their coffee is tasting great and they are doing some business!

Davec

Oct 18, 2006
Old England (UK)
Visit site
You might find this helpful

http://www.sovrana.com/tchome.htm

It's the Lavaza training centre a bit basic, but it will be a good introduction to a new worker, if they read through it online or you print off what relevant.

Really though it's more about how you want to run your business and specifically what the emphasis is. Making coffee based drinks can be taught fairly quickly, understanding your business and the image you want to convey is prehaps more difficult.

It is primarily a business....the fact that it serves coffee (presumably tea and other beverages and snacks?), is not really a major factor. Any employee needs guidelines as to the expectations of the business from him (coffee is a small part of that) and the business owner needs a clear strategy for his business. I am afraid that it is a little like "if you have to ask", do YOU have enough experience? If the answer is mabye not....then "keep it simple" and don't loose sight of the commercials while concentrating on the product..