Seattle's Best

slightlines

May 27, 2008
Visit site
Hello.
I was buying 5lb bags of Seattle's Best Beans from Borders Books.
The store closed, so I bought some at a large chain grocery.
They smelled like an old inner tube.
I brewed a pot and they were undrinkable.
They were in the new bag, and "in date".
So, I traveled about 20 miles into town and bought a 12oz. bag from another Borders.
They smelled a little old, but weren't.
I was so used to the very strong and luscious smell of Seattle's Best beans in the bag.
Now the closest I can find is Peets ground, oddly enough.
Has anyone noticed a difference in Seattle's Best here lately?

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Have no idea what roast preference/bean origin you were buying or how much you have been paying for 5 lbs. Check out this roaster as I've heard nothing but great things about what he offers and his prices/with shipping included is an excellent value. If you're paying a substantial amount for 5 lbs. of stale beans look into better options such as this.

Blackbird Blend

Note all the offerings on the left side of the page...

alphawave7

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I've had Jeff's roasted 'Redbird Espresso Blend' and it's amazing..very flexible as spro (I can pull as low as 193 or as high as 202 and it's still forgiving), great in milk (latte/mocha) and iced, as well as mild americano. Strong caramel, milk chocolate notes, and doesn't need much, if any sweetener. Highly recommended. :)

Last edited:

Randy G.

May 8, 2008
California
Visit site
When I was in Seattle, walking around downtown in the rain, up from Pike St. Mrkt., I stopped into a coffee shop for a little something to eat and a "Seattle's Best" cappa. Let's just say I am not a fan.. Didn't wath them pull the shot, but I make better at home. "HEY KINDS! Find the surprise in this post and win a pony!" My first thought after the second sip was, "Should be sued for false advertising."
I clicked my heels thee times and repeated, "There's no place like home... There's no place like home..."

r444r

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Gotta say Peet's and Java City are the tastiest "chain" roasts for my money. Seattle's Best is owned by Starbucks, so there's that. But they have a really friendly staff at the Borders at Sunset and Vine.

slightlines

May 27, 2008
Visit site
So.
I went to the Border's in Fort Worth, on Hulen Street.
I bought a 5 lb. bag of number 3.
Just the day before, I bought a 32oz. Folgers.
I finished the Folgers and still have 3.5 lbx. of Seattle's Best.
I called Starbucks and told them about it. They said that they had received MANY complaints about the old inner tube coffees. (New Seattle's Best smells and tastes like an old inner tube smells.)
Ennyhoo, a manager of one of the Border's in Seattle said that they will be severing their ties with Seattle's Best.
Scuttlebutt, so grain of salt, okay?
Here's lookin' at ya.

slightlines

May 27, 2008
Visit site
Saw Starbuck's on sale at Albertson's, so I bought a 12oz beans Columbian.
Opened it and was greeted with Seattle's Best aroma.
Hmmmmm.....wonder what's up, there.

DirtyDave

Personally, I have NEVER had a good experience with any chain store offering.
Think about who works for large corporate chains and what they get paid!
If it's convenience you are after, find yourself a reliable talented small roaster that sells online (no shortage of those), you'll be much happier and your coffee will taste WAY better.
Large corporate chains are a large part of what's wrong with the world today.
Don't support them.

ToyDogCoffee

Aug 24, 2011
Honolulu, HI
Visit site
If you look at the supply chain for Starbucks and Seattle's Best its why you should never buy it from the grocery store. Starbucks roasts it, packs it, stores enough to fill a truck (they won't do less than full load), it then ships to a Kraft distribution warehouse (Kraft is who distributes for Starbucks into the grocery stores). From there it gets inventoried and stocked. It then gets distributed out to regional warehouses. If you are lucky it gets distributed directly to the grocery store, but if you buy from a large chain, fat chance. If it gets sold to Safeway, it then goes to a Safeway distribution center to be shipped to individual stores. It is why so few farmers here in Hawaii will sell to the large chains. Just to be sold in a Safeway here in the Islands, you have to ship your coffee to a distribution center in California, for it to be turned around and shipped back to Hawaii. That is an extra 4 - 6 weeks just on the water... Like others said, you are better off finding a small micro-roaster, either online or locally to get your coffee. Tell them what characteristics you are looking for and they should be able to find one for you.