Seeking advice - Bonavita BV1500TS

blayze

Apr 19, 2020
Visit site
Hello everyone,

First time poster here. I've gotten my coffee outside my entire life (mostly sbux or balzacs) and have never owned a coffee maker at home. The social distancing situation has changed all that and now I can't get to a coffee shop without walking over a mile. So I've thrown in the towel and will finally buy a coffee maker. It's just my wife and I - between us we'll drink 2-2.5 mugs of coffee a morning. That's all we need. My only priority is hot, good tasting coffee. Don't care about programmable features or any of that fancy stuff. Just quality.

I did some research and the verdict seems to be Bonavita and Technivorm as the top brands. The latter doesn't make a 4-5 cup machine and seems way over priced, so I looked at the BV1500TS. The reviews seem to be mixed. Many complaining about leaky caraf, not holding heat well, etc. I can live with all these things (I drink my coffee right away, don't need to store it for an hour) - as long as the coffee is hot and delicious. I've also seen some reviews that seem to indicate that the 5-cup version is not up to par with the tried-and-true 8-cup SCAA approved version.

I would appreciate any feedback from those who have the Bonavita 5 cup. Are you happy with it? How's the taste? What do you love and hate about it? Am I better off getting the 8-cup and brewing less every morning (which I hear reduces the quality of the coffee)?

Thank you!

Last edited:

blayze

Apr 19, 2020
Visit site
Why don't you just buy an 8 cup and brew less ?

That's what I'm considering, but what I've read online seems to suggest that brewing less than max capacity on a coffee maker results in less than ideal quality (maybe not heated enough?)

I think Bonavita actually came out and said the machines are designed to perform optimally only when you brow the designated capacity.

Tbone666

Jul 28, 2019
Visit site
Are you taking into consideration the size of the cups you’re using in comparison to the amount brewed. All specialty coffee makers consider 5 oz. of brewed product to be 1 cup, thus the 8 cup Bonavita brews 40 oz. of coffee. Most home coffee cups hold 10oz of fluid comfortably, thus your 4 cups of combined coffee consumption between you and your wife would be ideally suited to an 8 cup maker.

blayze

Apr 19, 2020
Visit site
Are you taking into consideration the size of the cups you’re using in comparison to the amount brewed. All specialty coffee makers consider 5 oz. of brewed product to be 1 cup, thus the 8 cup Bonavita brews 40 oz. of coffee. Most home coffee cups hold 10oz of fluid comfortably, thus your 4 cups of combined coffee consumption between you and your wife would be ideally suited to an 8 cup maker.

Yes - we drink a combined 2-2.5 mugs each morning (I'll drink 1.5 large mugs and she'll drink a smaller mug).

Size wise, the 5-cup version is perfect for us, but the 8-cup is SCAA and tried and proven. If brewing less than the max amount of cups did NOT result in any degradation or diminishing of quality, I would get the 8-cup and brew half the tank, but what I've read suggests that most coffee makers perform best when brewing the max (I'm guessing it heats it to ideal temps by doing that).

Tbone666

Jul 28, 2019
Visit site
And what capacity or volume are the mugs you drink.?

You said that you normally drink sbux coffee...their sizes are 12 oz. (tall), 16 oz. (grande), and 20 oz. (venti). How many and what size do you order?

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Go with the 1900 series Bonavita... as someone pointing out a 'cup' in manf terms is usually 5-6 oz. During this COVID crap, I'm staying with my elderly mother. We each have about 2 mugs (12-14oz) every morning and we use the full 1.5L capacity of the larger model. Since I have an espresso machine at my roasting facility I usually drink this. However with the current situation, I've been using the Bonavita without any complaint. You do have to screw on the top/lid before pouring coffee. BV1900TS is my opinion the best model... there is one that features programmability if you prepare the night before. And then one step above their conniseour model... they changed things up a bit.. on that model the filter basket hangs from the brewer frame, on the 1900TS it sits on top of the pot. I see no issue with that.. in fact I like that it sits on top so I can also use my Chemex.

blayze

Apr 19, 2020
Visit site
And keep in mind... the 1900TS can easily brew less... in fact I often brew only 1L if its just myself.

Thanks for the feedback.

So you're the perfect person to ask - do you find any noticeable difference in temperature or quality of the coffee when you brew 1L vs the full 1.5L?

blayze

Apr 19, 2020
Visit site
Go with the 1900 series Bonavita... as someone pointing out a 'cup' in manf terms is usually 5-6 oz. During this COVID crap, I'm staying with my elderly mother. We each have about 2 mugs (12-14oz) every morning and we use the full 1.5L capacity of the larger model. Since I have an espresso machine at my roasting facility I usually drink this. However with the current situation, I've been using the Bonavita without any complaint. You do have to screw on the top/lid before pouring coffee. BV1900TS is my opinion the best model... there is one that features programmability if you prepare the night before. And then one step above their conniseour model... they changed things up a bit.. on that model the filter basket hangs from the brewer frame, on the 1900TS it sits on top of the pot. I see no issue with that.. in fact I like that it sits on top so I can also use my Chemex.

I'm looking at the 1900TS and the 1901TS Connoisseur model - is the only difference the filter position? Otherwise exact same technology inside?

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
I'm looking at the 1900TS and the 1901TS Connoisseur model - is the only difference the filter position? Otherwise, exact same technology inside?

I believe so... but there is a comparison on their tool. They changed the design because people weren't used to the filter sitting on top of the thermal container. However, I really like the flexibility it offers. Without the filter, basket attached I can still brew with my Chemex or pour-over (different brewing tools).

blayze

Apr 19, 2020
Visit site
Thanks!

The only thing I wish is that we could store both the carafe (lid on) and basket within the unit at the same time but guess they couldn't be bothered with that minor quality of life improvement :)