Seeking Monsooned Malabar

Jan 18, 2008
MASS.
Visit site
I've found some roasters online, offering Malabar and prices range between $6 per pound (with wholesale account) to $15 per pound.
My usual roasters currently do not offer Indian Monsooned Malabar as a single origin, only in blends.
Any suggestions?

Jan 18, 2008
MASS.
Visit site
I like your description:
"The Monsooned malabar is a low acid
variety which is exceptionally smooth, full bodied
with a pleasant earthy flavour but without a hint of
mustiness of aged coffees. It is very easy on the
stomach. This mellow coffee is mainly used in
blending."

Honestly, I kinda enjoy the "mustiness of aged coffees".
Perhaps a lighter than FC+ will retain that mustiness?

Anyway, thanks for your help Bob!
We'll be doing some business very soon...

Jan 18, 2008
MASS.
Visit site
ElPugDiablo said:
just curious, why are you looking for MM?

Hey Pug, I tried Mocha Joe's. I also got some samples from Barrington, but not as an SO, as they currently only offer it in a couple of their blends. I just like the stuff and will try experimenting with it here at the bakery, in such things as biscotti recipes, espresso brownies & some other dark chocolate & nut clusterous concoctions I've been messing around with.

(Heh, it's also for my thermos. Gotta test the stuff you know.:)

So what say you, my fellow New Englander?

ElPugDiablo

A bit of MM works well in blend, usually espresso blend. By itself, it can be very funky. The raw beans smell like dirty socks. Be careful putting MM in your delicate baked items, your customers might ask what is that funny nutty taste.

Jan 18, 2008
MASS.
Visit site
Ha, you're so right! The more I read about MM, the more I realize how it's an acquired taste type of coffee. I personally like the funky flavors (dirty socks, musty basement, LOL), just as I also like funky cheeses and sourdough breads. Of course I would get a good variety of opinions on any finished products before putting them on the market. For now, it gets chalked up as a business-related expense, under the research & development category. :wink:

cafemakers

Nov 3, 2004
Visit site
I think that we're going to have at least one MM on the table at our Indian cupping event in Atlanta at the SCAA show if you can make it over. The Robusta cherry and semi-washed are the real stars of the event, but the Mysore nuggets are also far superior to others that I've cupped.

We've setup an event page on Facebook to RSVP or for more info.

Andrew