Selling a small batch roaster? I'm looking

Pangib

Dec 12, 2008
Visit site
Looking for one of the following:

San Franciscan 3kg/Ambex YM-2, USRC 3kg or Diedrich IR3-TT

Please let me know if you are selling or thinking about it, I'd love to chat.
Thanks,
Paul

debbiej

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I might be selling my YM 2. still on the fence about trading the known for the unknown. of course you may have found a roaster by now.

debbiej

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Just when I decide I really should step up to a larger roaster, I begin having problems with the YM 2. I think it needs a new motor for the fan. the fan it comes with is an import fan. I'm not sure the motor can be exactly replaced, but probably could be retrofitted. I don't hear a difference in the sound, or see a difference in the air it moves, but the roast has an unpleasant taste. It could be our recent wind storms and/or improper ducting. We will continue to troubleshoot and resolve. let me know if you would be interested.

debbiej

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I have called Ambex several times, and they have been very helpful, even though I bought this roaster used, not from them. I'm sure it is really hard to troubleshoot a problem over the phone, especially one that has so many unknown variables. Last time I spoke to Terry, and he explained to me the difference in the design between the new ones and my older one. he said the older ones had import motors and were difficult to keep clean. we went over places to clean, and ways to get to them. most spots we had been reaching and keeping maintained.

I think the decision for me was based on a size between 2 and 5, a standing (not table) model at that size and price point, OK is closer than FL, and I'm impressed with the design, features and price of the US roaster. I wish I had more time to shop and more money to shop with, more roasters to visit and chat with. I found a 6 # San Franciscan close to me. no one is roasting on it. it was purchased brand new, 300# has been roasted on it. they went under, and a woman bought it because it is pretty. it is sitting in her cafe/art gallery not being used. I came close to buying that one, but too many unknowns.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Like I said Dan is a straight shooter. I just have experience in other roasters..I did get to play with a San Franciscan once...VERY SWEET!! It was also very expensive. As I said last post..I like that I can run to my local store and purchase motors and bolt them right on to my Ambex. Tear down is easy and we do this weekly. If the price is not too much more for a 10 kilo I would suggest that. You can roast smaller batches and have room for growth. :wink: