Setting up a roaster business

green beans

Jan 30, 2007
Northeast
Visit site
Hello,
I have ordered an Ambex roaster and it will be arriving in a few days. I am going to be setting up a roasting operation to sell the beans.

Can anybody give me help in figuring out what kinds of costs I may incur but have not thought of? How much is insurance for running a coffee roasting business in a space without sprinklers/with? What other unsuspected costs might I run into???

Any tips or pointers from someone who has been there would be great

Thank You

green beans

Jan 30, 2007
Northeast
Visit site
startup costs

The costs that I have thought about are

-the ventilation ducting (not sure how much it is though)
-insurance
-rent
-beans
-propane/gas for the roaster
-bags and labels
-roaster

Please feel free to let me know what I need to think about and if anyone has a figure for insurance.

Thanks

green beans

Jan 30, 2007
Northeast
Visit site
I went with propane because I was not sure where I was going to setup my roaster and I thought I would have easier access to a propane tank. I do plan to switch over to natural gas once I am setup in a steady location, still looking though. I have had a hard time trying to find a small location where I can roast and is affordable.

Labor costs is a good point the only reason I have not thought much about it is because it will be just myself in the beginning.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good bean supplier in the Boston area. I have not been able to find a local one and have thought of going with Cafe Imports in Minneapolis. Any ideas, is Minneapolis too far to be my supplier?

Thanks

ElPugDiablo

What about an after burner? Even if you are not in a cafe setting you will need a grinder, a brewer, an espresso machine and an espresso grinder to sample your roast. You should also think about getting a sample roaster and some cupping accessories. You can get away with using consumer type home roaster, brewer, grinders and high end prosumer espresso machine until business justify commercial equipment. But in the long run, you need to invest in commercial grade equipment. If money is available, it would be nice to get a profiling/automation system for your roaster, a destoner, a moisture analyzer and an Agtron machine.

One of the on going costs you want to think about is freight cost. Cafe Imports have some great beans, but if you just starting out and are buying one or two bags at a time, freight can become expensive. I buy from Cafe Imports, I also work with Volcafe Specialty, Royal NY and BD imports. They all have warehouse in NY and in NJ. Ask them about their East Coast inventory. I believe La Minita has a warehouse in Mass. There are a few small roasters in Boston area, have you thought about splitting bags or pooling green buying with them?

BeanGrinder

Aug 11, 2004
North Georgia, USA
Visit site
Also, check with your local Department of Agriculture / Health Department. Start with Ag...their easier to work with and may in fact be in charge of coffee roasting businesses in your state /area.

Usually you will need a triple compartment sink including a particle trap on the drain, a mop sink, and a hand-wash sink in the roasting area. You'll need containers, scales, measuring scoops, cleaning materials including a shop vac, work tables, grinders, and more.

Good luck. Whatever you do, start with a good accountant and Quickbooks.

-BG