Shelf stable canned cold brew

njot2an

Nov 14, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
Hello Fellow Coffee businessmen....
I have a coffee roaster client who already has his business running and wanted to start producing his own shelf stable canned cold brew in a nano scale to begin with. Any advise on what machines to get? and / or where to start?
I tried to do researches online, but everything is so vague, and only directed me to co-packer and co-brewer.

Thanks

Seb

Mar 18, 2014
Quebec/Canada
Visit site
For shelf stability (if you mean room temp) of cold brew you need retort (sterilisation) process and this is very expensive. Also, i have found that i personnaly really do not like the taste of the coffee that have been sterilized so you may want to try few samples first. Doing cold brew is hard to make it right, i am building a nitro cold brew factory right now and this is technical and very expensive. On our side we will not do retort but we will sterile filter and have to keep a cold chain all the time which is also not easy to achieve correctly. That is why co-packing is the key for this product. Cold brew coffee have a too high pH and need either acidification + pasteurization or sterilisation or to keep it cold all the time. Any of theses ways are expensive.

njot2an

Nov 14, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
Thanks Seb. That's what I suspected as well. I already advise him to co-pack first, as this is way out of our expertise. But I kind of understand where he comes from first, since co-packing have a pretty high MoQ, and pretty expensive too. So, we were just wondering if there was a way to start small scale first the right way.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Its very difficult in my state... check with your Health Dept first. Ours in Missouri required fully automated capping of any packaging which made it cost prohibitive.