Should I be measuring 1 or 1.5 oz? I am confused!

alpha6164

Feb 3, 2005
Visit site
I just got the Starbucks (Saeco) Barista Digital Italia and the instructions state to program the machine to dispense 1oz of espressor between 25-30seconds. On coffeegeek it describes espresso as 1.5oz brewed between 25-30 seconds. Well which one is it? Because it seems that the same grind would obviously take longer if you wanted 1.5 oz of fluid vs 1.0. I am trying to adjust the machines grinder but do not know which standard to use. All inputs appreciated.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
A proper single shot is 1 ounce. A 1.5 ounce shot would be considered a single long. Some people like to set their machines to pull these two types. I always shoot for 1 ounce, but the creama on my coffee is always about 1/2 to 5/8" tall and takes a while to settle down. So it makes it hard to judge some times.

pstam

Jan 7, 2005
China
Visit site
alpha6164 said:
I just got the Starbucks (Saeco) Barista Digital Italia and the instructions state to program the machine to dispense 1oz of espressor between 25-30seconds. On coffeegeek it describes espresso as 1.5oz brewed between 25-30 seconds. Well which one is it? Because it seems that the same grind would obviously take longer if you wanted 1.5 oz of fluid vs 1.0. I am trying to adjust the machines grinder but do not know which standard to use. All inputs appreciated.

For us, it is 1.5 oz. For ristretto, it can be 1 oz.