should I do this?

shelley

Nov 29, 2004
Visit site
I have been doing the research on opening a drive-through espresso and have finally found a good location. My husband and I talked this evening and he is really worried that I will get into this and be unhappy because of the amount of hours and lack of time spent with my children. My children are 11 and 14, boy and a girl. I think I could find good help and eventually be able to take a yearly vacation and be able to attend their activities. We live in a very small community, population of only 750 people. Am I dreaming and should I just stick to my part time job or do I pursue my dream of owning my own business? Part of me says be content and the other part says to go for it! Help!
:roll:
[/b]

shelley

Nov 29, 2004
Visit site
should I do this

I appreciate your reply....I would be very committed but as a mother I really need to do research to see what impact this will make on my family. We really need to increase our income and I am very excited about the espresso business, I just need to find out from others if good help is out there and if it is possible to find it. I would work the majority of the time but I also realize I will need help at times.

barefoot

Sep 21, 2004
Santa Clara, CA
Visit site
heres what I would do:

get a job in a GOOD espresso bar. Work at least 25 hours a week or more. You will learn a ton of stuff even if they suck. You will have to keep your other part time job, your family and still work in the cafe. If you want to be more realistic abotu the hours you will need to work at least 60 hours a week in the cafe and still havea ll your other things and job.

If you can't handle it or it is too much stress then you have your answer. Plus you get some more money and experience.

BTW DO NOT get into the coffee business to make money. Get into it to create coffee loving people and serve the best coffee you can. The money will bea by product of your passion and comiitment. You can definitely make money in the business but it is very hard without passion and dedication.

jpscoffee

Nov 3, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Shelley,
If we could answer the question for you, you would lose the satisfaction of taking the risk. But, you are wise for asking good questions.

I don't know a lot about drive thrus, but here are a couple of thoughts I have:
1. Can you afford to take the risk? In other words can you afford the $10K to $100K it will take to open a drive thru?
2. Is your family 110% behind you? Is your hsuband and you in unity on this decision if you go forward? If he isn't 100%, it will not be worth the risk of money AND marriage.
3. Is it possible that if you opened your drive thru the business model could be built on being open from say 5 or 6 AM to about 11 AM and then closed the rest of the day? You could avoid employees, and still handle the work load (I am not sure about this and would talk to someone who knows more about drive thrus and 750 population areas).
4. If it failed or did not meet expectation can you afford the payments for the next couple of years to pay it off?
5. Would you kick yourself forever if you don't do it?
6. Is relocating or opening in a larger town possible?

All just thoughts to help define your vision.
It is a exciting and maddening and euphoric process. Let us know if you get addicted!
Ciao

janie1963

Mar 8, 2004
Visit site
Shelly,
I opened a drive thru last August-I still have 2 children at home. They are 13 and 9 (a boy and a girl respectively). I spend on average 7 hours a day at the shop, which is less than 5 minutes from my home. The kids sometimes get off the school bus at the shop. I usually spend 1-2 hours or more each evening on paper work or research.

I still get to spend a lot of time with the kids and when they are at work with me during slow times we have more opportunity to talk than when at home-not so distracted by the t.v. or chores, etc. However there is a huge downside-since I am working 6 days a week and my husband still has his "day job" the house has become less organized. I spend all day Sunday catching up on laundry and cleaning and often can only fit in a couple of small chores on weekdays. I was a stay at home mom for so many years-my family really relied on me for everything and now I must train them to be a bit more self motivated. Otherwise it has been a relatively smooth transition for us.

It took me a while to convince my husband that this could work, but now he's the one to encourage me when I have my doubts....a nice change in my opinion.

Good luck to you

jpscoffee

Nov 3, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Wow, neat story Janie. To me, my marriage and family always come before my business. It is such a blessing to be able to have both work well along side each other (although the house may be a bit more disorganized).

coffeegirl808

Nov 15, 2004
California
Visit site
Beautifully stated, barefoot. Been working in house after house for eight years; learned the good, bad and the ugly and wouldn't trade the experience I gained for anything...I'll always be learning though after my shop is up and running...

Money is the bonus running a shop....knowing that you are giving a quality product to the community and having pride in your shop and business; THAT'S WHAT I'M STRIVING FOR...... :D