Should I replace my grinder? If so manual or electric?

jesse.grosjean

May 17, 2019
Visit site
I'm wondering if I should upgrade my grinder. I like to make pour over and French press coffee. I don't expect to do espresso.

My existing grinder is a hand cranked box style that was given to me. Bottom is printed with "Made in West Germany". Otherwise looks on the cheaper side... it's wood, but has floral decals for design. Also lots beans get stuck between box and top metal funnel part, so maybe not that well designed. Last complaint is to change grind size you need to reach up through box drawer, hard to see.

The internals look like this:

grinder.jpg

But my big reason for wanting to replace is that everything I read about coffee says "get better grinder!".

Assuming my grinder can be improved upon... The grinder that I see most recommended for people like me is the Baratza Encore. That's probably the top end of what I want to get price wise, but I'm not sure that I really want/need an electric grinder, I just grind small amounts and kinda like the manual grind process. I think maybe I can get a better manual grinder for the same or less money than the Baratza? I see lots of comparisons online, but not many comparing electric vrs manual grinders for quality.

My question: What's a recommended manual grinder that's equivalent or better then the Baratza Encore for similar or less price? Again I want it for pour over and French press, not espresso. I don't need it to be portable. The grinders that I've found myself are:

- Hario Ceramic Coffee Mill - Skerton Pro
- Zassenhaus Brasilia Coffee Mill
- Handground Precision Manual Coffee Grinder

Other suggestions? Tell me what to get!

Thanks,
Jesse

jesse.grosjean

May 17, 2019
Visit site
Unless you enjoy manual work, a Cuisinart DBM-8 works just fine. You can get it for less than $40.

I don't mind the manual work, but don't have to have it either. I am mostly just interested in following the "get a better grinder" advice I see everywhere.

Would you say that the "Cuisinart DBM-8" is noticeably better then my existing manual grinder?

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Do you have a picture to show the fake junk burrs? How can you see dust and static when it's a closed unit? Grind without the coffee box?

The ground coffee receptacle is clear plastic and definitely not difficult looking at the coffee as it's blown out of the 'grind' chamber. That will allow you to see the dust/static as the grounds blow/stick to the inside of the receptacle. More power to you if it works for you, but it didn't take me long to box the thing up and return to BB&B, then found a decent grinder.

Look closely at the burrs and you will see 'nubs' sticking up, which just pulverize the beans at high speed. Honestly this type of 'grinder' is no better than a blade type. For not much more $ something like the Capresso Infinity (or similar conical burr grinder) can be had and are light years ahead of the fake burr units.

Cuisinart-DBM-8-Supreme-Grind-Automatic-Burr-Mill--300x253.png

Last edited:

JeffD

Jan 27, 2022
Upstate New York
Visit site
I have a hand grinder, for if and when the power goes out, or for camping.

I do not think it pleasant or desirable to hand grind first thing in the morning. Not if I have a choice. Though, i will admit, some of the exercise sites do advocate lifting weights and vigorous exercise first thing in the morning.

Baratza Encore does everything well was not too expensive, and I am not sure I can taste or appreciate a grinder better than that.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
I pay no attention to lame articles posted all over the web as every one of us will be different in our daily approach to life. Simply find what works best for you and stick with it... I personally like doing what many find to be a challenge as in hand grinding with a 4 lb beast of a hand grinder for 6-7 doubles most mornings. Being a part of the process makes it that much better for me, same approach I take to roasting. Life's too short to just automate everything and take the easy way out, but to each their own!

JeffD

Jan 27, 2022
Upstate New York
Visit site
To me (and only to me) I prefer an electric grinder. A hand grinder is like a paddle boat. If you like the exercise great, but if you want to get somewhere get a motor or a sail.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Another reason I like manual grinding is that it allows me to feel/smell the level of development I achieved with roasting a batch. On that note, my next step is going to be roasting each bean individually with a magnifying glass/sun to really take the hands-on approach to a new level, bwahaha...