Should I use a ground coffee storage container or leave it in the bag?

CaffyDuck

Apr 23, 2023
Denver, Colorado
Visit site
I currently buy my "Dunkin' Original Blend" ground coffee in a 12 oz bag at the supermarket. I leave it in the bag and every day I scoop out what I need with a long-handled scoop. As the bag gets below 50%, it becomes more tedious to scoop the coffee out with my big fist not fitting well into the bag.

Some kind of storage container might be a lot easier. Does pouring the ground coffee into a container make it go bad more quickly? What is the best storage method for ground coffee?

Do you use a container for your ground coffee that you would like to suggest to me?

Thanks!

baristaraimo

Jan 20, 2023
Millburn, NJ
Visit site
If you are concerned that pouring your ground coffee into a storage container might make it go bad more quickly, don't worry! It is a great idea. Just use an airtight container that you store in a dry, cool place away from light, heat, and moisture. It is also best to avoid plastic jars since they can make your coffee smell bad. Instead, I recommend using a glass jar with an airtight gasket seal. This will keep your coffee fresher for longer and make it easier to scoop out.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Try to squeeze the oxygen out of the bag as best as possible. The key is trying to make it airtight. With pre-ground mass-market coffee, its already probably pretty old and won't degrade significantly.

If you want to go with a container... Airscapes are the way to go!