Silvia inconsistent/low temperature

mphuie

Dec 9, 2008
Visit site
I was gifted a Silvia and accompanying grinder from my Dad.

It is a great machine, but I have been having some issues with low brew temperature. I normally don't steam, so I just turn on the machine with no switches until the temperature light goes off and start to brew. I'd say 1 in 5 times the temperature is way too low, I've measured 50C-70C in the cup (I realize it does lose some temp).

Am I doing something wrong here, or is there something wrong with the machine? My dad thinks that I should calibrate it every time (the Power+Brew switch at the same time with steam open). I'd thought I'd post here instead of going through my dad to the local shop he bought it from.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
1st thing do you have the portafilter in the group head so that it warms up with the machine? If you use a cold portafilter it will significantly change the extraction temp on such a small machine. I have also found that after the Silvia says it is ready to go its best to let it sit for another 5 to 10 minutes to let that heat move all through out the machine.

It could be a mechanical problem too. Your element may be going bad and has increased in resistance and will only slow down the heat transfer. The other problem could be coming from bad limits on the machine. If one the high limits was popping before it had reached its temperature then it would cause it to be on the cool side. If you take top off you will see several bimetal thermostat discs on top of the machine. They control your temperature of your small boiler and will eventually go bad.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
I think most people turn a machine ON and think it's ready as soon as the boiler heating light goes OFF. Like the others said...... leave it on awhile, always leave the portafilter locked in when warming the machine and run a few blank shots (no grounds in the basket) through it just to super heat everything. Also run a bit of hot water in your shot glass or mug or that will cool things down alot if you run a shot into something room temp. I know that's what the warming plates on the tops of most machines are for, but most home machines aren't left on long enough for that to be helpful. Watch the video below and this should help ALOT. Later!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhxvDusY3jk