Simple Techniques

wulf

Oct 29, 2003
London, UK
Visit site
Hello,

I've been watching this board for a week or two and thought I would register to ask a question. I've seen the death of a couple of (cheapish) coffee machines in the past couple of years (one an old Tefal that my wife and I were given and then the Kenwood machine we bought from Argos to replace it) and also got through a couple of glasses for our Bodum cafetiere.

As a result, I'm currently back with just pouring near boiling water on the grounds, leaving them to stand for a couple of minutes and then pouring through a filter to serve and, to be honest, this tastes as good to me.

While I consider whether or not to invest in any more coffee making hardware, I was wondering what the consensus was on the pros and cons of the simple 'add hot water and wait a bit' approach?

Wulf

pinellasperk

Oct 29, 2003
Dunedin FL
Visit site
Sounds similar to the french press method, but without the grinds in your cup. If it works for you, stick with it. If I were you, I would just go to target and get a 20 dollar proctor silex with timer, but each to his own.

wulf

Oct 29, 2003
London, UK
Visit site
Yes, I suppose it is like the French Press but without the integrated filter. As long as I don't get distracted so that it ends up going cold, it tastes fine. And I do have a little expresso machine for when I want the coffee a bit stronger... :lol:

Wulf

aabreetech

Nov 2, 2003
Southern Oregon
Visit site
Cheap machines

Cheap machines are cheap. Good coffee makers will cost money. Consider one that grinds the coffee fresh. Cuisinart is OK but the Capreso Coffee Team Lux has a conical burr grinder which grinds the coffee to a consistant size for a better brew.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
aabreetech...I have always tried to get people to shy away from the combo machines...if your grinder breaks or the brewer you are screwed! And by the way the whole thing about a cheap coffee maker is cheap...ummmm and a good coffee maker cost money...like we talked about before...coffee presses are cheap and they rock!!

aabreetech

Nov 2, 2003
Southern Oregon
Visit site
French press debate

Do you grind your own or do you buy it ground? If you grind your own then you have a grinder. A French press requires a very good grinder to make the grounds uniform in size so you don't get the sediment in your coffee. If you have your coffee ground, remember. Coffee starts to oxidize after 4 hr's of being ground. Oils evaporate. Smell fresh ground coffee and then smell it 2 days later. Big difference. French presses are good products, but they don't compare to a good coffee maker! Look at the sediment in your French press. I don't have any in mine. How long have you had your French press? Is it still in good shape?
My coffee team is going on 4 years old this Christmas. Same one! How many French presses have you bought in 4 years? I like the first cup in a French press, but that’s the only one I like. The rest taste bitter and colder.
In my opinion.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I have had my press since 1989 and it is in perfect condition and yes I do have a grinder....I have a antique hand crank from the 40's, I also have an ambex comercial grinder, A mazzer mini and can't remember what else I have collected over the years. Also after you make coffee in a french press I suggest you transfer the coffee into a carafe, "remember" if you do not the coffee will continue to steep. Do not get me wrong...I like capresso products...I used to sell them...and the coffee team is a neat machine(my old boss used it for an alarm clock) what do you think of the Bodum vacuum machines? I have an old glass one but the new ones are pretty kewl. oh well enough rambling off to get a cup of joe from my soft heat bunn brewer. 8)

MikeTheBike

Jan 30, 2004
Blighty
Visit site
Just found your site....looks good!

I have three machines, A pavoni lever machine (excellent and all the parts are serviceable yourself about $12 for a full set of seals!), and two stove top pots. A single cupper for taking on holiday, and a larger one for home....these were only a few Euros each in Spain!
For thick espresso, the stove tops are excellent and are a no-brainer to use...great noise as well!
For normal days when I don't need my head blown off, the Pavoni is great...form and function rolled into one.
A seperate grinder (Gaggia MDF) is a must I think, its a bit slow, but gives a real consistent grind and has lasted ages!