Single shot espressos

Ellie

Dec 27, 2004
GA
Visit site
Help me make sense of this, please :-D

It seems that you get a better quality shot when making a double shot, rather than a single shot. Some trainers will only train you using the double shot. What doesn't make sense to me, is when a customer orders a 12-oz. latte, which would use a single shot, what do you do... make a double shot and throw the other shot out? Kinda inflates your cost of sales, especially if you sell alot of 12-oz drinks.

What do you coffee shop owners out there do?

Thanks,
Ellie

everydaygourmet

Nov 15, 2004
Visit site
Ellie said:
Help me make sense of this, please :-D

It seems that you get a better quality shot when making a double shot, rather than a single shot. Some trainers will only train you using the double shot. What doesn't make sense to me, is when a customer orders a 12-oz. latte, which would use a single shot, what do you do... make a double shot and throw the other shot out? Kinda inflates your cost of sales, especially if you sell alot of 12-oz drinks.

What do you coffee shop owners out there do?

Thanks,
Ellie

pennies per shot.....

I dump the second shot....of course, I also hope my next customer sitting in line is ready for a triple shot iced something :wink: and then I would prepare 2 drinks at once.

Seriously....the shots are night and day on our machine using a single vs. a double.....I would dump em all day before throwing that out as my coffee.

20% growth a month for 3 straight months since opening....I would say the customer thinks it's worth it, my roaster offered to send me a couple extra lbs. a month to cover this.....and that's about all it is. He even said, it's just bad coffee as a single shot with these portafilters....and he did not want his coffee reputation on the line over pennies.

Good luck to you

Bo

Brealins_Sign.jpg

everydaygourmet

Nov 15, 2004
Visit site
Ellie said:
Bo,

What kind of an espresso machine do you use? Do you think that would make a difference?

Ellie

Ellie, that's a good angle to approach it from. I have a LM Linea 3gr.

I was sure it was the la Marzoccoo baskets for the portafilters.... because they are kinda goofy shaped....and then we tried oversized baskets, etc. etc.

but I have also heard it is an issue for a lot of people. Hence the evolution of an almost unwritten rule pull doubles even for a single drink.

I am sure there are Barista out there that have overcome this issue (Change the grind, adjust the tamp, different dosage)
I just have not really tried that hard, after talking with my roaster (I also bought my machine from him, so we spent a couple days together fine tuning everything) and he said I'll send you an extra few pounds a month for free....so "His" coffee does not taste bad.

I admit it....I'm not that good, I'm just a business owner....who makes better coffee than anyone else in my valley :wink: so I just keep pouring shots down the drain....or me.

:-D :-D

what machine do you own Ellie?

Good luck,