Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO, it gives the same results as a double portafilter

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

XIII

Feb 8, 2005
Visit site
Hi guys,
Just need your point of view on this matter : Does using a single portafilter give a bad shot of espresso or is it the same as using a double one (using the proper doses of course).

I would really apreciate your feedback on this matter.
THx

Chris Kay

Feb 1, 2005
Visit site
I like giving my good espresso drinkers a dbl shot for a short black in ristretto style.
Strong lattes should always be a double shot so too should long blacks.

LiftOff

Nov 3, 2004
Arizona
Visit site
I can't weigh in with a vote because neither option is correct in my estimation.

A) A single portifilter does NOT give a bad espresso shot

B) It does Not give the same results as a double portafilter, how could it ? There is twice as much ground coffee in a double

rcs1

Feb 10, 2005
Visit site
Wait, how about a clarification here. Are you asking about a portafilter handle that has either a single or a double spout, or are you asking about using either a single or a double portafilter basket? I took your question to mean the former, rather than the later.

I've heard one coffee pro complain about the single spout not making good espresso, which as far as I am concerned is ludicrous, and makes absolutely no sense. Personaly I use no spout, as my portafilter has the bottom chopped off of it. It makes better espresso than either a single or a double spout handle, with more crema, and a better mouthfeel.

If you were talking about a single vs. a double basket, that is a totally different story. It isn't easy to get a great shot with a single basket. There are people who can, and do, on a regular basis, but it requires more work. Flow dynamics through the puck are much different in a single basket compared to a double, so it only makes sense that you have to completly vary your technique when using one. Doubles just make more sense. They are easier, and the results are more consistant.

C