Size of Starbucks espresso shot?

Espressodh

Mar 4, 2017
Visit site
I regularly order a double or triple espresso and have been wondering how many fluid ounces are in each of these drinks thinking that there was no way it was 2 or 3 oz repectively as noted on starbucks.com.

After measuring a freshly pulled shot empirically with a measuring cup, I was given 0.75-0.8 oz for a single shot of espresso, definitely not 1 oz. as indicated. A double espresso measured out at just 1.5oz of espresso. When I asked the barista and the manager about this, they had no answers to my queries about why I was getting less than 1 oz/shot. They simply pointed to the "shot" glass the espresso was poured into and the line to which each shot was filled.

Is Starbucks supposed to be giving me more than 0.75 oz/shot or the 1oz/shot just false advertising?

Espressodh

Mar 4, 2017
Visit site
If you ask me, I think it would not matter as long as you get a great espresso shot from Starbucks.
They can give you 10 oz espresso shot for 0.75 oz pricing, but if that is no good, 9.25 oz difference would not matter.

I'm asking about quantity not quality. If I'm paying for what is supposed to be 1oz of espresso, I'd like to be getting that 1oz, not 0.75oz.

And starbucks is starbucks - so I'd prefer 10oz of "no good" espresso at 0.75oz pricing over 0.75oz of good espresso at 10oz prices.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
Aha... I understand. you are q'ty over quality espresso kind of person.
My suggestion is that next time when you order a shot from Starbucks, just let them know to give you 1 full oz, as per the menu indicated.
I am sure they will do that for you.

Espressodh

Mar 4, 2017
Visit site
I'm not complaining about the quality, just the quantity. The quality has always been the same in the years that I've been drinking Starbucks. Again if I'm paying for a shot, I would appreciate a full ounce shot. I don't really care for the extra 9.25oz you'd propose giving me.

As I was told today, shots are automatically dispensed by the machine. So when you order a solo espresso, what is dispensed to the line on the shot glass the partner puts under the spout is what goes into your cup. Tis is 0.75oz per shot at least in the Los Angeles area. So again, you're mistaken - when you ask them for the full ounce, the partner will politely decline. You try ordering a triple espresso (supposedly 3oz but only 2.25oz) and asking for a quad espresso (4oz measured at 3oz).

apparently, i'm not the only person who noticed this:

eespressoshotsize . com

i'm a value guy who wants to trust that i'm getting what i think i'm getting. If i didn't like the quality of the coffee, i would've stopped buying a long time ago

Kudzu

Dec 5, 2014
Pawleys Island, SC
Visit site
Espressodh, you mention discussing this issue with a barista and a manager. Have you addressed it directly to Starbucks corporate? It might not be the best place but the following, from their contact page, would seem to be a logical starting point.

In Our Stores
Service experience, Wi-Fi, beverages, product availability, store locations.

On that page you first have to choose a topic. The second selection is: "The beverage I ordered at a store"

If you learn anything, I am sure others here would be interested.

Last edited:

Espressodh

Mar 4, 2017
Visit site
And that is what you should be getting... sounds like their espresso tech is doing a poor job.

when i ordered a single shot today paying $1.95, I got the full ounce as measured with my handy measuring cup. However when I then ordered a doppio paying $2.25, I only got 1.5 ounces. A triple shot at $2.65 yielded approximately 2.25 ounces. This is in the Los Angeles area and I'd be interested in seeing if this is uniform throughout the USA? I don't believe this is an isolated incident as I've been to both company-owned and licensed stores and have been getting the same amount (approximately 0.75oz/shot) when ordering any size of espresso larger than a single shot.

Espressodh

Mar 4, 2017
Visit site
I have written to corporate through that portal simply to see if they knew what was going on but have not heard back from them. I will give them some time and hope that the district manager of the stores I've been observing this trend in has some clarification on this.

abeautifultaste

Mar 5, 2017
Arizona
Visit site
Espressodh - I agree with you. If they are stating that it is 1oz, it should be 1oz. However I just looked at the at their espresso page and it looks like they've updated to Nutrition Facts Per Serving (0.8oz). It a bit confusing to me. It says 1oz but the serving size is 0.8oz...

Screen Shot 2017-03-18 at 8.46.00 AM.png