Slowing down roast temp

Irunbird

May 13, 2007
Tucson, AZ
Visit site
I'm new to drum roasting using flame (LP), and can't quite seem to figure out how to quickly stall the rise in the temp curve. It seems like increasing the fan only exacerbates the problem by adding convection. I'm using a usroaster corp sample roaster, so there's multiple ways to adjust things: adjusting gas pressure (which increases or decreases the flame), adjusting fan speed, opening or closing the damper (redirects the fan toward the cooling tray and away from the drum), and opening the green bean chute or the trier hole (although I'm pretty sure that won't do much). So, other than just turning off the flame completely, how do you guys control rise in temp like when 1st crack begins to really roll, and you're climbing at a rate of 1 deg F/second.

I've only roasted twice on this thing, so I've got a while to go...

Any ideas?

Ray

ElPugDiablo

Irunbird said:
I'm new to drum roasting using flame (LP), and can't quite seem to figure out how to quickly stall the rise in the temp curve. It seems like increasing the fan only exacerbates the problem by adding convection. I'm using a usroaster corp sample roaster, so there's multiple ways to adjust things: adjusting gas pressure (which increases or decreases the flame), adjusting fan speed, opening or closing the damper (redirects the fan toward the cooling tray and away from the drum), and opening the green bean chute or the trier hole (although I'm pretty sure that won't do much). So, other than just turning off the flame completely, how do you guys control rise in temp like when 1st crack begins to really roll, and you're climbing at a rate of 1 deg F/second.

I've only roasted twice on this thing, so I've got a while to go...

Any ideas?

Ray
Can you post your log? For most of my roasts I am shooting for increase of 5F ~ 7F every 30 seconds once first crack started. If you are climbing 1F a second, in 30 seconds you have increased 30F. That is way too fast. I would think you have too much momentum going into first crack. Have you try reducing heat 60 seconds to 90 seconds before first crack?

Irunbird

May 13, 2007
Tucson, AZ
Visit site
that's exactly what I got back from Dan Joliff. I roasted my 3rd batch of "junk beans" tonight, and slowing down the ramp is all it took. Sorry, I can't produce the numbers, just what's logged into my head. This roast tonight took about 14 minutes for 300 gm. I just have to get the old habits out of my head (using an sc/to)-- they just don't apply any more. It took around 9 minutes to get to first crack, and another 4 +/- to get to 2nd, and it looked perfect- nice slow warm-up, so no scorches or blasts.

Now to reproduce it!

Thanks elpug (btw- you win the award for the most bizarre avatar-- how you ever got that dog to sit still long enough to dress him up, must've taken 10 lbs of doggie treats!)

Ray

Davec

Oct 18, 2006
Old England (UK)
Visit site
Irunbird said:
Thanks elpug (btw- you win the award for the most bizarre avatar-- how you ever got that dog to sit still long enough to dress him up, must've taken 10 lbs of doggie treats!)

Ray

What you mean he doesn't look like that in real life :shock: ....I didn't realise it was a dog :wink: