small electric roaster

lizzy

Mar 6, 2006
Visit site
I recently purchased a small (2#) electric roaster to roast for our shop. I'm wondering if any on this forum has experience roasting with an electic roaster? I like it, it seems well made and I am (I think :!: ) getting pretty tasty roasts.

any hints or observations about roasting small and electric?

Cafe Caffeine

Mar 7, 2006
Cambridge, Mn
Visit site
I have a small electric for my shop as well, (5#), and I really enjoy it. My best advice would be to WATCH YOUR TEMP!! Electrics are known for their inconsistency; however, you have the control. Good Luck!

Viridian

May 13, 2005
Visit site
If you are serious then you should do some research on PID'ing your roaster. There is plenty of info on the web for the why and how. Basically, one of the main reasons an electric would be considered inconsistent in its heat delivery is because the installed controls allow for too much temp variation. A PID from eBay could cost as little as $35 brand new. And a thermocouple for temp sensing on your roaster can be quite cheap as well. If you spend a little extra on the PID that can allow you the opportunity to program roast profiles for your machine as well. Basically, solid state control is better than a mechanical control. Hope that helps.