small roaster but neighbors complaining

jeanne435

Mar 23, 2005
Visit site
just opened a roaster-retailer store in a small town. we use a 2 kilo ambex roaster. we are getting complaints from neighbors about the smell and smoke and we want to make things right. any ideas? will an afterburner cost more than the roaster did? we dont know what to do.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
what does the law state? I remember roasting in Tampa with a 20 lb royal with no after burner...no one could say anything...same in Largo FL I had an Ambex 5 kilo no after burner...since it was only a 5 kilo I wasn't required to have one..we where located in an out door mall....man on a good windy day you could smell it for miles :grin:

Ellie

Dec 27, 2004
GA
Visit site
Jeanne,

How do you like the 2 kilo so far? I am considering getting that one myself, but have been wondering how the quality of the roast stacks up to the larger roasters. Seems like it would be a good size to haul to shows and fairs, etc.

Ellie

jeanne435

Mar 23, 2005
Visit site
loving the small roaster...but...

I love the roaster! It's a gem. We are considering an afterburner now, because we want to roast whenever we want--not just in the wee hours when folks aren't walking the streets wondering, "what's that weird smell?".

I am interested in the suggestions for installing a blower and adding 5 feet to the chimney stack. Who makes such a blower, or should I just look at the hardware store?

Sigh...an afterburner is the best idea, I think, because our neighbors will have nothing to complain about--except, they're mighty costly.

Now I'm in with a new problem where my roaster is emitting smoke INSIDE the shop, i.e., when I let the roast out, it's not drawing the smoke through the fan, out the chimney. We're cleaning it out completely now; hoping that will do the trick.

We're new to the biz and still relishing every bean--trials and tribulations aside! Thanks for all the advice. :)

California-Coffee

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
We had the same problem

We built our own coffee afterburner and it cost us $1000 in parts plus labor. We would be happy to share our design and parts list. Or we could build you one. We use it on several roasters IR-24 and a Primo Ten. We ca be reached at [email protected] or 805-553-0930.

Patrick

manele

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
install a blower and put a small ozongenerator in the pipe.....
ozon its a very strong oxidizer and after the destruction is nothing left then oxygen.....
and i promise you ozone kills almost every smell...!

check this
http://www.ozonetech.com/

and the search for the ACT-6000 under the product range.....