Small Roasters/Experienced

philhart

Mar 3, 2009
Visit site
I am looking to find people who have Experience on small roasters, around 1kg per batch 2.2lbs. I am looking to buy one and would like to hear what people think about their experience. Quality is the goal but price is a factor. I don't want to sacrafice quality for price. There must be a break point somewhere.

Thanks for any input. 8)

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
Hi
I think the easiest and most efficient is the 1lb sample roaster from US Roaster Corp. Although it might be to small for your needs.

There is a video of one on YouTube and he has one at www.revelationroaster.com. Click on the sample roaster link.

he also makes a twin barrel which might help

Charlie

usuario

Feb 28, 2009
Visit site
Call me at any time to provide you with details (and referrals) on the Torrefattore 2.2 lb shop roaster (electric 220V). There is a fully-automated version and a semi-automatic one. Those units will be on display at the SCCAA show in Atlanta next month.

coffeelife

May 13, 2009
Sacramento, CA
Visit site
I purchased the USRC 1 pound sample roaster in Dec 2008. I love it. Excellent control, roasts in 15 min or less (I usually shoot for around 13 minutes, 8-9 min to 1c and then 4-5 min until I dump). I modified it slightly to speed up bean cooling. Shoot me a PM and I'd be happy to explain.

petegrizzles

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
I roasted for about a year on a Toper Cafemino 1kg... Great results in the cup, but not the best engineered roaster ever. Chaff removal is less than great, so you end up doing a lot of sifting after your batch is done. Maintanence is also not super easy on it.

I hear Ambex has a new sample roaster out... looks pretty sweet.

coffeelife

May 13, 2009
Sacramento, CA
Visit site
I purchased a USRC 1 pound roaster last year. I love it too. Great control, rock solid build. I thought that 1 pound would be more than I needed for my 2 - 2.5 pound per week habit. However, if you roast for anyone, you find that 1 pound is limiting. I regretted not getting a 5 pound roaster.

Well, a couple of weeks ago, I'm reading PC World and it talked about a Search All Craigs Lists site that searches all of the Craig's lists sites. I typically search for espresso machines, grinders, etc so I threw in "AMBEX." STOP THE PRESSES!!!! "AMBEX 2K Roaster with Roast Profile Plus" came up. Used only a year and half, at 1/3 the price of a new one, and within a day's driving distance.

As I told my wife, "If this is not a message directly from God, I don't know what is!" Long story short (if that's possible at this point), I now have a van load of Ambex 2K roaster waiting for me to clean out enough room in the garage, and a wife who says, "You know that you're insane, right? RIGHT?" Well, of course, I know THAT. I thought SHE knew that!

Anyway, I haven't tested it, but I'm really looking forward to giving it a whirl. It's a beautiful machine. If anyone has any profiles, tips, etc, I'd be interested in hearing them.