Small Roasters? Help me out.

gotnoname19

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys/girls, this is my first post :p

I am thinking of starting a small coffee roasting business in New York. I'm looking at buying a 2-3 kilo roaster, and roasting out of my home. I'll be selling via open air markets, home delivery, and eventually in small stores and coffee shops. I'm looking for information from someone who has done this already.

PS. I'm in New York

Here are a couple of questions:

1) Are there afterburner requirements in NY? And if so, for what size roaster is an AB required?
2) Do you have liability insurance? If so, how much do you pay?
3) Do I need to take care of the state DOH stuff before I start selling?

Any other info anyone can give me will be appreciated. I'm getting ready to take the plunge, and am trying to collect as much info as possible.

Also, I'm looking for a 2-3 kilo roaster, so if anybody knows anything...................

Pangib

Dec 12, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

Are you going to be in NYC? If so, what borough? That would be great news for the city coffee scene as it continues to grow.
Paul

Becca

Hi there,
I am a small roaster in British Columbia that started business in 2008. I can't speak to your local req. but I just wanted to comment on the size of roaster your are considering. I started out with a 3lb roaster, granted a 3 Kg roaster is bigger but not by much. My coffee did so well that I had to make the decision to stop roasting (it was taking days to do the roasting for the week) or expand and get a larger roaster.
If you plan to start selling your coffee to stores, you will be prevented from acquiring larger accts. because it will take you so long to fill the order you won't make any money. I would recommend that if there is anyway you can afford it that you bite the bullet and buy a larger roaster to begin with. I now have a 7kg Diedrich and what took days now takes hours. It is a lovely machine.

Good luck with your venture

Becca

gotnoname19

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
Nice Becky, thanks for the reply. I'll consider getting something bigger.

Can you (or somebody else) tell me how selling coffee in a store works? As in, do they buy the coffee from me and then sell it? Or do they put it out, and I get money based upon what sells? And does this work the same way selling coffee in bulk in a grocery store or coop?

Thanks for the info.