So Happy to Be Moving into a Better Coffee Reality

varuscelli

Jan 24, 2007
League City, Texas
Visit site
You know, despite being someone who likes a really good cup of coffee, I have never been very assertive about making my OWN good coffee. That is, from the standpoint of having a GOOD home coffee maker and coupling that with GOOD coffee.

Just a short while back, our old coffee maker finally went out (a basic off-the-shelf, consumer-level coffee maker) and I decided to get us a nice one.

After quite a bit of research on this site and others, I decided on a Technivorm KB741. I ordered it, but wanted to surprise my wife with it, so didn't use it right away.

In the mean time, not having the old drip coffee maker anymore, I dug through the cabinets and found my wife’s small press pot (a Bodum that she must have had since before we were married). After playing with it for a few days, I really started to find out what I had been missing. I was simply amazed at how good the coffee was -- and how good a coffee I could actually make when using a better method... :wink:

I must say that despite my usual ambivalent feelings going through the motions of making coffee in the old drip maker, I rather enjoyed the process of using the press pot. (And my 5-year-old daughter loved the sound of tea kettle whistling as the water came to a boil.) I think the enjoyment of using the press pot mostly came from the results and having a really good cup of coffee at the end of the process. Making the coffee didn't seem like a chore, but more of a "feel good" ritual. Hard to explain, but I'm sure folks know what I'm saying.

In any case, we now have the Technivorm up and going, too, and I have to say I'm missing the press pot just a bit. The Technivorm is a HUGE improvement over the old coffee maker, but I gotta say that the little old Bodum press pot sure made some nice coffee. I feel like I need to keep it out, too, and mix my methods when the mood hits.

Feels pretty good to be entering a new coffee reality for myself. Even my wife is saying "Wow!" to the coffee I'm making. A new door has opened, I must admit.

Next step: A nice grinder. :wink:

varuscelli

Jan 24, 2007
League City, Texas
Visit site
CCafe said:
Maybe on Saturday you should make your first pot with the Bodum. That way you start your day out a feel good ritual and hopefully it will only get better. :wink:

Or start with an old garage-sale Mr. Coffee, make the first pot, taste it, dump it, and have nowhere to go from there but up. (Then resell the old Mr. Coffee so as not to waste anymore batches... :p )

Nah, too many steps. I think I'll go with the "make your first pot with the Bodum" idea. :)