So Many Coffee makers, & Filter Sizes/ Taste.

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
We have been running into many kinds of Coffee Brewers,and Makers.

Some with the Huge Filters that spread the Coffee out a lot,
and seem to alter the taste from the smaller more compact filters.

Is it just my taste, or is this common, or from blend to blend,
a changed thing.

We were also using less coffee per 8 cup pot, ( about half ) than was being used with the owners commercial
Restaurant blend, which was way not finely ground

Does a smaller filter compacting the Coffee, make a better taste ?

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
The filter size depends on the size of the brew basket. You can not use a smaller filter than what it is designed for or it will over flow.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Topher, I "think" what Rick is inquiring about is why manufacturers use different brew basket sizes, shapes, etc.

The size/design of the basket/filter depends on volume being brewed, the flow rate, etc.

Two common basket types are... the typical "cupcake" style that allows an even bed of grounds for even saturation/flow and the other is the European "cone" style that is usually smaller in diameter but much deeper. Later!

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
After rereading this I think the real thing to ask here are what types of brewers have you been looking at? If you look at a home brewer that will make a 10 or 12 cup standard then the size of the basket isn't going to be that large. But if you start looking at 2 and 3 liter brewers then yes the basket gets a lot bigger. 1.5 gallon brewers are even bigger and a 3 gallon brewer comes with 2 handles on the basket.

The bigger the brewer the more ground coffee your going to have to use and that is the main reason why the basket keeps getting bigger. 3 gallon brewers have a massive basket big enough for me to put over my head. Now keep in mind that on a brewer this big your going to use roughly a pound of coffee to brew with. So you need to spread that coffee out, hence the bigger basket.