some may consider this sacrilege!!! expert advice needed!!

J.Lennon29uk

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Hi I am about to commit what most people would call sacrilege - I am looking for a few suggestions on a blend involving jamaica blue mountain beans....
Now by no way am I a connosseur as far as coffee goes - all I really know is that i like fresh coffee that I''ve just ground from the beans myself, and that blue mountain is considered the best of the best, for that reason I''ve tried beans from a few jamaican estates.

I normally wouldnt blend blue mountain as I consider it too nice to blend with anything, and this particular estate''s beans are very nice, produce a really smooth and mellow tasting coffee,with a hint of fruitiness, but when you get to the end of the pack and there''s not enough left to make a full batch of coffee - experimentation does come into mind!!!

I measure my beans for grinding in 10ml (dessert) spoonfuls, and grind it in a grinder that was passed to me by my german grandmother - it''s a Bassenhaus \"mokka\" - dont know how old it is - but it is old!
Also I use the percolator she gave me - a Sona jug style percolator - probably not the best machine to use - but I use it for nostalgic purposes :grin:

So - Do any of you have any particularly nice blue mountain blends that you already created? if so - please share it with me!!
At the moment I have blue mountain beans and a bag each of high end(the more expensive ones) grocery store columbian and kenyan beans and I''m considering blending one or both with the blue mountain, but would like a bit of advice as to whether that is a good idea or not - and if it is, which ones to blend and quantities to use - as you are all connosseurs on here - I thought I''d let the masters teach me :D [/i]

tsmalls0

Oct 18, 2007
Washington
Visit site
Re: some may consider this sacrilege!!! expert advice neede

[quote:78f4c3811f=\"J.Lennon29uk\"]Hi I am about to commit what most people would call sacrilege - I am looking for a few suggestions on a blend involving jamaica blue mountain beans....
Now by no way am I a connosseur as far as coffee goes - all I really know is that i like fresh coffee that I''''ve just ground from the beans myself, and that blue mountain is considered the best of the best, for that reason I''''ve tried beans from a few jamaican estates.

I normally wouldnt blend blue mountain as I consider it too nice to blend with anything, and this particular estate''''s beans are very nice, produce a really smooth and mellow tasting coffee,with a hint of fruitiness, but when you get to the end of the pack and there''''s not enough left to make a full batch of coffee - experimentation does come into mind!!!

I measure my beans for grinding in 10ml (dessert) spoonfuls, and grind it in a grinder that was passed to me by my german grandmother - it''''s a Bassenhaus \\\"mokka\\\" - dont know how old it is - but it is old!
Also I use the percolator she gave me - a Sona jug style percolator - probably not the best machine to use - but I use it for nostalgic purposes :grin:

So - Do any of you have any particularly nice blue mountain blends that you already created? if so - please share it with me!!
At the moment I have blue mountain beans and a bag each of high end(the more expensive ones) grocery store columbian and kenyan beans and I''''m considering blending one or both with the blue mountain, but would like a bit of advice as to whether that is a good idea or not - and if it is, which ones to blend and quantities to use - as you are all connosseurs on here - I thought I''''d let the masters teach me :D [/i][/quote:78f4c3811f]

As much as it burns me to say this, I would suggest Kona.

alanj11

Sep 10, 2007
Visit site
Just to really give this a twist, have you considered Kenya Blue Mountain? The JBM root stock was transplanted in Kenya some years ago, and the result is quite interesting.

mpkelley20

Sep 24, 2004
Visit site
A little late to this post but I used to think that Blue Mountain was the best until I started roasting my own beans for home use. For a clean, light cup that will taste similar to Blue Mountain (but is superior in my opinion), just try some of the single estate Costa Rican coffees. I bet a lot of people who are not experts would not know the difference. And the price is about $15 to 2$0 cheaper per pound!

I'm sure I'll get bashed for making this comparison but I just thought I'd offer some advice to save you some money and introduce you to some great coffee.

And if you can get it, the best coffee I ever had (and have said it on this board many times) is Venezuelan coffee. Much strogner that typical coffee I drink but just atste incredible. When I can get it, I am a happy person.

mpkelley20

Sep 24, 2004
Visit site
Hopefully won't get in trouble for posting any of this....

Well, originally I got my Venezuelan beans from Venezuela when the cruise ship I was on stopped off in Caracas. After I got back, I started searching the web and found a few places that carried it but I lucked out and found someone from Washington state that owned a coffee farm in Vanezulea. He normally sells to stores and coffee shops but was willing to sell me some green beans in smaller quantitites. Awesome beans! Unfortunatley, he told me that I was one off deal so I am not supposed to give out his info.

Other places I've tried are the following:

Killer Beans - I believe the guy that runs this site is a member here. His beans are roasted very dark (oil is very prevelent). Great taste but very strong. Not as sweet as other Venezulean beans I've tried. His site still has it listed but I'm not sure how much he has since it is very difficult to export beans from Venezulea right now.

Angel Falls - Probably the biggest site that has been selling Venezulean coffee for a long time. They have different roasts available. The light roast, in my opinion, is the best. They sell green beans now as well. Haven't tried them yet.

Good luck if you decide to buy it. Hopefully you will like it as much as I do. Just wish it was easier to find.

Some may consider this sacrilege!!!

Hi There!

I measure my beans for grinding in 10ml (dessert) spoonfuls, and grind it in a grinder that was passed to me by my german grandmother - it''s a Bassenhaus \"mokka\" - dont know how old it is - but it is old!
Also I use the percolator she gave me - a Sona jug style percolator - probably not the best machine to use - but I use it for nostalgic purposes Very Happy

I'm no expert on Jamaican Blue Mountain. I tend to swim in the warm waters offshore, like all good Coffeesharks.

But I do want to comment on your coffee equipment. Keep those pieces in use! I think it's great that you're using these family heirlooms. They still work!

There are many options for grinding and brewing out there. I'm sure you can find a technically superior way to brew. But you'll never duplicate the taste you can produce with your Grandmothers pieces. I submit that your Jamaican Blue Mountain tastes distinctively different and special because of how you make it.

Mako

Coffeeexpert

Jun 29, 2008
USA
Visit site
Kenya may be of the same plant stock but the growing environment in Kenya negates most similarities. In my experience, Kenya has a very distinct flavor that is better left as an origin offering. Why not go for a Colombian or Costa Rican blend.