Sometimes It Is Undrinkable Swill

Emelde

Feb 13, 2019
Visit site
I am so disappointed with my first order from CoffeeAM. It is, by far, the worst coffee I have ever tasted. Hard to believe, but true. Having bought some delicious Salted Caramel Coffee in a Fresh Thyme Market while visiting Ohio last summer, I expected a product of comparable quality from CoffeeAM, and ordered 2 lbs. Unfortunately, the CoffeeAM coffee in no way resembles a caramel taste. It actually smells and tastes like burned coffee beans blended with insecticide. The acrid smell is so strong that it penetrated the sealed bags and permeated the shipping box. It is truly undrinkable and it was a pricey mistake to order from CoffeeAM.

As is my practice, I read the reviews on their site before I ordered. However, I did not know then what I know now: they do not publish reviews that criticize their frequent practice of selling "over-roasted" beans. After reading so many glowing reviews (on their site) and receiving such a gross product, I went searching online and discovered information I wish I had known previously. Apparently, it is hit or miss with them and the burned beans I received are a common occurrence. I wanted to provide a heads up here so folks in this forum would know before making my mistake.
:coffeemug: If anyone knows a source for excellent quality Salted Caramel Coffee, I would love to find more of this potentially exquisite coffee. :heart:

Last edited:

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
I would highly recommend buying caramel syrup vs. trying to find a caramel flavored coffee. Many roasters who flavor their coffee often use low qualtiy beans, tend to roast darker and then use flavoring agents. You will see some caramels show 'notes' of caramel - but they are nuance sweetness vs. caramel flavoring like the candy.

Emelde

Feb 13, 2019
Visit site
Thanks, Musicphan. I do not use syrups because I prefer to consume as little sugar as possible. Since I had such excellent quality Salted Caramel Coffee purchased from an Ohio Fresh Thyme store last summer, I know some other roaster must create a coffee of comparable quality. (I would simply order from Fresh Thyme, but they do not ship.) :coffee:

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I am so disappointed with my first order from CoffeeAM. It is, by far, the worst coffee I have ever tasted. Hard to believe, but true. Having bought some delicious Salted Caramel Coffee in a Fresh Thyme Market while visiting Ohio last summer, I expected a product of comparable quality from CoffeeAM, and ordered 2 lbs. Unfortunately, the CoffeeAM coffee in no way resembles a caramel taste. It actually smells and tastes like burned coffee beans blended with insecticide. The acrid smell is so strong that it penetrated the sealed bags and permeated the shipping box. It is truly undrinkable and it was a pricey mistake to order from CoffeeAM.

As is my practice, I read the reviews on their site before I ordered. However, I did not know then what I know now: they do not publish reviews that criticize their frequent practice of selling "over-roasted" beans. After reading so many glowing reviews (on their site) and receiving such a gross product, I went searching online and discovered information I wish I had known previously. Apparently, it is hit or miss with them and the burned beans I received are a common occurrence. I wanted to provide a heads up here so folks in this forum would know before making my mistake.
:coffeemug: If anyone knows a source for excellent quality Salted Caramel Coffee, I would love to find more of this potentially exquisite coffee. :heart:

Have you tried to contact the CoffeeAM, customer service people? https://www.coffeeam.com/contacts/index

I had a problem a few years ago with a bag of coffee beans that I received as a gift, and they sent out a replacement that turned out to be perfectly fine. I've ordered coffee from them several times recently and I have had no more problems.

It is going to be hard to find a roaster that can duplicate the taste of the Salted Caramel Coffee that you had in the past. Each roaster is going to produce a different result.

Good luck with your search.

~ Rose

Emelde

Feb 13, 2019
Visit site
Thanks, Rose. I sent an email to them and received no reply after a week. Then I discovered they have a habit of selling burned beans so I did not follow up as I normally would have. And I learned that they previously had a storefront on Amazon which Amazon closed because they had too many unresolved complaints. So I presumed I would be wasting my time trying to get a refund from them. You are probably lucky that they sent you the replacement coffee; it seems that their policy is to require customers to pay to send it back, telling them they will evaluate it and decide if anything is wrong before replacing the coffee. I would not pay to send 2 lbs of undrinkable coffee back to them. However, based on your experience, I will try calling them and/or sending another email.

I did not expect the coffee to taste identical to the Salted Caramel I had previously. And I did not expect burned coffee that truly smells as if there is some type of bug spray in it -- a most peculiar odor.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Thanks, Rose. I sent an email to them and received no reply after a week. Then I discovered they have a habit of selling burned beans so I did not follow up as I normally would have. And I learned that they previously had a storefront on Amazon which Amazon closed because they had too many unresolved complaints. So I presumed I would be wasting my time trying to get a refund from them. You are probably lucky that they sent you the replacement coffee; it seems that their policy is to require customers to pay to send it back, telling them they will evaluate it and decide if anything is wrong before replacing the coffee. I would not pay to send 2 lbs of undrinkable coffee back to them. However, based on your experience, I will try calling them and/or sending another email.

I did not expect the coffee to taste identical to the Salted Caramel I had previously. And I did not expect burned coffee that truly smells as if there is some type of bug spray in it -- a most peculiar odor.

When you were in Ohio this past summer, were you visiting friends or relatives? Could you call them and ask them to send you the coffee if you pay them for the coffee and the shipping?

Just a thought.

~ Rose

derek.peris

Aug 15, 2018
Blaine, WA
Visit site
There are plenty of Sugar Free flavorings for coffee. Torani, Davinchi, Sterling, etc... Buy roasted coffee that is to your liking and add a dash or squirt of your flavor.
Thats how we make lattes and flavored black coffee. Very easy to duplicate, every time! Just right.
Good luck
barnyardcoffee.com