Sour coffee?

ngaisteve1

Aug 18, 2004
Visit site
I bought this organic coffee around more than a month ago. Only these few days I began to realize that the coffee need to be finished within a month after it is opened. I feel that the coffee taste sour. It is because I put too much coffee or expired coffee taste sour? Thanks for all feedback.

ralphshade

Jul 28, 2004
Madison, WI
Visit site
Sour Coffee

You haven't said anything about how you stored the coffee. I always recommend that you use up any coffee you buy within a week of opening the package. There are things that you can do to delay the staling process, like keeping you coffee in an airtight container (even a ziplocked bag will work), and out of direct sunlight. you should also keep them ina a dry environment. The key, though, is to use the coffee up as quickly as possible.

Ralphshade on this one we agree :grin: . Only buy as much coffee as you can use within a week-10 day period. Obviously its better if you buy from your local specialty roaster- they can sell small volumes direct to you in whole bean (or if you request) ground form. Its always better to buy the whole beans and invest in a grinder so you can grind beans as you need them. Ground coffee can deteriorate at a pretty quick clip...

ngaisteve1

Aug 18, 2004
Visit site
Alun_evans said:
Ralphshade on this one we agree :grin: . Only buy as much coffee as you can use within a week-10 day period. Obviously its better if you buy from your local specialty roaster- they can sell small volumes direct to you in whole bean (or if you request) ground form. Its always better to buy the whole beans and invest in a grinder so you can grind beans as you need them. Ground coffee can deteriorate at a pretty quick clip...

Thanks. Actually, I only began to like to drink coffee. So, there are many terms I don't know. May I ask what the the meaning of ground coffee? Thanks.

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
What origin was it? Some coffees have different profiles than others. I must also ask what do you consider sour? I've time tested many coffees, including leaving beans open, leaving espresso ground coffee open, and drip ground coffee open. Some of my findings had shown that more of the African beans had soured a bit after the 6th day of being exposed to open air. However, I've never tried that with organic beans. Maybe someone can elabroate more on that group of coffees...Topher play nice nice :twisted:

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
sorry...ground coffe is where they take the whole bean and grind it into powder form..."ground" differntly for each brewing process. Back to the original question...you say you bought it a month ago...how long did it sit on the shelf before you purchased it. If the coffee smells flat....sort like cardboard it is usually stale.
Sorry coffee guy :oops:

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
Kiss...Kiss...Just kidding Topher :p Yeah, that was a good point, I forgot about how long it was setting on the shelf. Then again I would'nt trust anything bought at the store anyway. You can almost guarantee that it's been sitting at least a month especially if you are shopping it from the bins. Not to mention how many times that bin has been opened and closed :wink:

ngaisteve1

Aug 18, 2004
Visit site
I see. Now I began to what is ground coffee.

Yeah, I bought it from the store. I think the coffee is already stale.

Since my craving to coffee has grown, I thought of buying myself some coffee stuff like the grinder and good coffee.

Yeah, another thing is I read an article about the temperature for coffee is around 88-98°C. My question is why 88-98°C and not 100°C?

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Where are you located? sigh.......now I am acting like people I have picked on in the past..I sell coffee roasted to order....if you are interested pm me. :oops: omg have I sunk to the scary level of cheap plugs...trust me I am not hurting for biz..haha I have put in 65 hours roasting this week already thank goodness I only have 2 more days!:(

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
Boo Who :twisted: Be sure to put in for time and a half :D... ngaisteve1 always put your trust in fresh roasted coffee, besides you'll usually do better when you order that way. Yes, I know it can be earier to buy coffee from the store, but for just about the same price you can order online and have it shipped directly to your door and be a lot happier...Like from us for example...Opps, I did the same thing...*&^%@ Topher you're a bad influence...now you have me throughing out cheap plugs :oops: :twisted:

ngaisteve1

Aug 18, 2004
Visit site
I stay in Malaysia, next to Singapore. I'm a Chinese Malaysian. My mom also a coffee lover but the coffee she drinks is the normal one from the shop. She drink Nescafe, a popular shop coffee here. I think Nescafe is popular here maybe because it is cheap and taste ok for ordinary coffee drinker here.

Our country here also has luxury 'shop' (sorry vocabulary is poor) to drink coffee like Starbuck, Coffee Bean, San Fransisco, Gloria Jeans etc. I guess, I can only get those bean coffee from these 'shop'.

Thanks for the offer. Yeah, if I got any questions, I will post it here or PM u guys.

Ah....calm down boys...this ones for me :D ! I am located just across the Straits from you guys in West Java, Indonesia- I could almost throw some beans across the water to you. Fresh is indeed best...and fresh can only be provided by the guys who roast daily...lovingly working with the tools of their trade in the searing heat of the tropics :grin: ...now if that was not a cheap plug...then I do not know what is!!!

As for Nescafe....once you get a taste for fresh roast and ground beans there is no turning back to the dark-side!