Sources/suppliers for pastry, sandwich & soup (Canada)

CodeNameE46

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I would like to know how coffee shop owners are getting/managing pastries, light sandwiches and soups in their coffee shops.

I am in the process of completing my business plan and searching for a location. I am located in Calgary, Alberta, Canada so I hope there are coffee shop owners who are close to my location on this forum who can provide some pointers.

Aside from coffee and espresso based beverages both hot and cold, I think it's unavoidable and necessary to have the basic cookies, muffins, cakes, good selection of sweet/attractive pastries, light sandwiches/paninis and soups to be offered. So far my understanding is I can do it in 2 different ways.

-Go directly to local bakers and restaurant to buy all the products fresh a few times a week. This is very costly and involve dealing with many suppliers. Fresh products go bad and it's costly if inventory is not managed properly.
-Buy frozen from 1 or 2 suppliers, and bake/heat-up products in the coffee shop every morning.

There are pros and cons for both and I am leaning towards buying all frozen products and bake/heat-up the products in store every morning. Frozen products have longer shelf life, easy to store in freezer, only use as much as needed every day, can be produced fresh every morning, and only basic convection oven is needed.

I would like to know:
1) How coffee shop owners are buying and managing these products?
2) Who are the suppliers in Canada and/or Calgary, Alberta that I should approach? (please message me directly with names if possible)
3) General inputs and advices to help me out.
4) Some of the chain stores are carrying really good selections. Where are they getting their pastries, sandwiches and soups from? I don't believe they make them from scratch.

I want to thank everyone in advance for reading this post and maybe provide some inputs.

Cheers,

Shane