Soy Milk - Vanilla or Regular?

crema123

Mar 10, 2007
Cook Islands
Visit site
I'm getting quite a few Americans requesting Soy nowadays, and I'm speaking with some of the suppliers to bring in some soy milk.

Do most of your customers like regular or vanilla soy? I just don't want to have a nightmare of stocking 2 types of soy milk. I understand it's shelf stable, but it's hard to get soy here and don't want the hassle of having 2 kinds. I figure if someone wants a vanilla soy latte or some *$(#$ like that, I can put in a shot of vanilla...

Any recommendations?

quantumparticle

Jun 13, 2008
NYC
Visit site
Vanilla Soy

At my cafe we served Vanilla Soy. From my experience, the majority of those who drink soy or request them in their drinks are expecting Vanilla. Doesn''t detract from the taste of the beverages, and for a vanilla flavored drink you still need your vanilla syrup. It just has a better overall taste and mouth feel.

Coffeeexpert

Jun 29, 2008
USA
Visit site
I'm lactose intolerant and my favorite brand of soy milk is Silk Vanilla. You don't taste the vanilla, it somehow makes the soy milk taste more like real milk.

morrisn

Mar 27, 2006
Visit site
We stock regular soy only, any flavoring is done with syrup. We find the the people that are health conscious and want soy, do not want the sweetness associated with flavored soy.

Randy G.

May 8, 2008
California
Visit site
crema123 said:
I'm getting quite a few Americans requesting Soy nowadays, and I'm speaking with some of the suppliers to bring in some soy milk.

I hae been drinking soymilk for some 25 or 30 years now. Plain is not very palatable, while the vanilla is quite tasty. While the Silk brand is very tasty, for latte art I personally have found it fairly close to worthless. it ends up with good rich stiff foam and milk with little ability to do latte art. The Kirkland brand does latte art fairly well even tough I believe it is made by Silk. Pacific Foods makes a line of soymilk specifically made for use in steaming for espresso beverages. I think they are called soy blenders. The point is that some do better stretched than others, so before committing to a brand, investigate how they work for you.

You may be able to contact Pacific Foods directly (iirc, they are in Oregon, USA) and have them send you samples, or at least get you in contact with a distributor who should be able to do so.

ElPugDiablo

Randy G. said:
crema123 said:

I hae been drinking soymilk for some 25 or 30 years now. Plain is not very palatable, while the vanilla is quite tasty. While the Silk brand is very tasty, for latte art I personally have found it fairly close to worthless. it ends up with good rich stiff foam and milk with little ability to do latte art. The Kirkland brand does latte art fairly well even tough I believe it is made by Silk. Pacific Foods makes a line of soymilk specifically made for use in steaming for espresso beverages. I think they are called soy blenders. The point is that some do better stretched than others, so before committing to a brand, investigate how they work for you.

You may be able to contact Pacific Foods directly (iirc, they are in Oregon, USA) and have them send you samples, or at least get you in contact with a distributor who should be able to do so.
I find Silk does a passable rosetta if I don't introduce too much air, not as good as soy blender, but still workable. It's impossible to get soy blender in New England, I tried, but the freight is way too high.

waterman

Aug 3, 2008
Visit site
Off topic, perhaps...maybe take a chance and educate some people about the dangers of soy products. I loved Silk soy milk, vanilla, chocolate, and plain, until I read more about them. Soybeans are highly toxic when fresh and must undergo costly chemical cleaning processes to make them safe to consume. Macular degeneration is one condition that has increased 10 fold in recent decades (hardly mentioned in medical textbooks as late as 1980) and can be traced to the use of vegetable oils like soybean oil, corn oil and safflower oil. It happens when veg. oils are heated, forming a compound that attacks eye tissue, nerves, arteries.
It goes to show how information constantly drilled into the public domain becomes the gospel truth.
edited to include: the basic effect of soy products is "mimics female hormone estrogen". rant over.