Starbuck's Barista..near new..perfect

michael 07

Dec 10, 2004
Visit site
Have an excelent near new Barista in White complete and used very few times.
Want to sell because I bought a big machine ( big family )
If interested I will ship to you for $ 165 included shippment and insurance
mike

Parts Guru

Jan 1, 2005
Lansale, PA
Visit site
Barista

I am sorry that you decided to sell the Barista. It is a great espresso machine. The secret to its good crema is in the pressurized filter cup holder.

Asking price is very good. I already have a fully automatic one. Barista needs a separate grinder while my espresso maker has one built in it.

Good luck with you bigger new espresso maker. Which one you got?

CollectiveInk

Dec 28, 2004
Visit site
I wish to revise my excitement. :evil:

This machine isn't "near new" and "used very few times" (unless those few times were used to heat up tar for reroofing!) and definately not excellent. The machine is 7 years old (if I've read the manufacture tag correctly, date 198) and the portafilter will not flow as it is filled with a tar like substance, is is the gasket in the grouphead. :(

Does anyone know of a good, but safe cleaner I can use to TRY and get this machine working properly? I have descaler and will try that, but this tar stuff won't come off. My fingers are stained black. I have to buy a new portafilter as the current one is shot. (I switched gaskets and PF from another Barista temporarily and it flowed, but won't with the current gasket.)

Needless to say, this was not a bargain or a great deal.

From now on, I'm sticking to Ebay, at least there there is some recourse for shoddy merchandise and dishonest sellers.

Tim

CollectiveInk

Dec 28, 2004
Visit site
Well, I was VERY heated when I discovered this. Even though I'm calming down, it P!$$es me off to think about it. And after writing a letter to the seller (see top of the post for who that is) I still have heard nothing.

I called Starbucks customer support, and they were nice, but made it clear that with a machine that old what they could offer in support was limited. Turns out I'm going to have to shell out another $35 for parts to just test the machine (other than running water through the brew head or steam wand.)

What scares me though is the longest I've heard someone say their Barista has lasted was 10 years.... so this one is one the last leg most likely.

Brings the whole "cavat emptor"/buyer beware (or however it's spelled) to mind.

Side Note: without a portafilter in place, when you press the steam button, is it normal for some steam/water to come out of the brew head?