Starbucks to sue Haidabucks of Masset, Queen Charlotte Isle

colin99

Apr 17, 2003
Canada
Visit site
There is a longhouse-cafe in Masset, Queen Charlotte Islands,
called Haidabucks... Masset is about 450 miles North of
Seattle, Washington.

It seems that Starbucks is breathing down their neck over the name.

The name "buck" in the Haida-Gwai language is a term
of endearment for a 'young man'... and considering
that the owners are young men of the community,
the name works.

One of the owners has decided to fight Starbucks over
these vexatious and litigious accusations. Once again,
Starbucks has come across as the brutish bad corporate
entity that we all think that it is..

Colin

notmuffy

Mar 25, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
:shock:
Wow! That is so stupid! I have seen worse "copyright infringements" regarding Starbucks, so why go after a tiny island community?

There is a brand of Coffee called "Arbuckles" whose logo looks very 'inspired' by the coffee chain. Don't get me wrong - they have some of the best flavours I've ever had (mmmm blueberry muffin!) but if Starbucks is going to sue anyone Arbuckles should be first in line.
***edited to add:***
Ok I just did a search on the internet for this Arbuckle's coffee, and what I am seeing looks nothing like the packaged coffee I bought last year! This company says they have been around since 1865 or something! Oh well, maybe Arbuckles has since changed their logo because Starbucks was infringing upon THEM. LOL
Who cares! I'm gonna sign me up for some Arbuckles coffee, today's my birthday and I deserve it! :wink:

CoffeeLover

Mar 7, 2003
Coffee Shop
Visit site
Haidabucks Coffee

Colin, how long has Haidabucks been in business? It makes me wonder if they're stomping on someone who has already grounds in the area or somebody new? I did find an interesting story about Haidabucks as quoted below.

If you’ve been up Main Street in Masset recently, you must have smelled the aroma of fresh-roasted coffee and delectable foods emanating from the area’s newest restaurant, HaidaBucks. Since its grand opening on May 1999, HaidaBucks has quickly become a popular culinary hangout for locals and travelers alike. In the words of part-owner and on-site manager John Chutter: “Getting the business up and running was very frustrating and a lot of work, yet it is rewarding and enjoyable to know that all the hard work that we’ve put in is for our own business.â€

G

HaidaBucks

HaidaBucks is not stomping on anyone. Rather it seems that they are being stomped on. A David and Goliath scenario. The nearest Starbucks is a 6 hour boat trip and a 12 hour drive away. The aborignals that own and operate the cafe are very active members in both the native and non-native communities and are excellent role models for others in their contributions to them... We are a very small community and not in the habit of stepping on others toes... quite the contrary.. cooperation among the diverse elements of it is the norm. It seems that Starbucks who claim to be community orientated are abusing their corporate power to squeeze out an entity which is important to a village and is no threat to them whatsoever.

G

Disgusting

At first, Starbuck's attack on a small independent First Nation business seems almost comical.... but then one is struck by the shocking arrogance of the company's presumtive attitude that it can somehow monopolize language (given this is a term in use ages before Starbucks came along) through some ridiculous legal argument. Indeed, the *intent* of laws protecting copyright should be considered while the whole idea of protecting a "brand" is offensive in this case... perhaps the Haida should sue Starbucks on the premise that they have, essentially, a brand (beit there culture) and Starbucks infringes on their brand, or cultural image.

Starbucks is dispicable. I hope the Canadian courts throw it out and ridicule Starbucks in the ruling....

CoffeeLover

Mar 7, 2003
Coffee Shop
Visit site
haidabucks cafe

I would hope that Haidabucks will work this one out and make it out alive. I haven't been to this coffee shop, but I'd like to know who has, if anyone here has and to give some thoughts about the shop itself and what is happening. How are the locals taking this news?

Commentary & Misty, Thank you both for your comments please take a few minutes to register for an account here.

Misty

I go to HaidaBucks frequently. It is close to the post office where we go everyday to pick up mail and consequently meet others on the same mission. It is wonderful that we have Haidabuck where we can have a coffee with friends and family in a home like environment. I also think it is ludicrous for Starbucks to feel threatened by such a small edeavor but I am heartend by all the positive response exhibited by supporters since this legal battle began. I may sound like HaidaBucks belongs to me but in a way it does belong to all the residents of Masset and we all will be staunch in our efforts to slay the Giant. We have a website that is humorous in some of it's content but we are taking the issue very seriously. www.haidabuckscafe.com.

G

haidabucks

hey, i want to order one of their Haidabucks t's, in support for legal cost. any one have an idea on how to get one? please email, no spam, or using this email for other than info. thank you........H :)

CoffeeLover

Mar 7, 2003
Coffee Shop
Visit site
Haidabucks Coffee Lawsuit

Welcome henkster, register for a account here so people can send you private messages about what your looking for and you can easily post. On the Haidabucks web site order page they mention how you can help out by getting the coffee cups and shirts with the Haidabucks logo on them. You can either do it by mail or credit card. More details are on their help us page.

I wondered what a HaidaBuck was, now I know:
So What's A HaidaBuck?
HaidaBucks Cafe is in Haida Gwaii territory, on one of the Queen Charlotte Islands off the northern coast of British Columbia, Canada. Located in the village of Masset, population 700, it's owned by four young members of the Haida First Nation. These young men refer to themselves as bucks. Like many Native Nations, theirs refers to young men as bucks. The four friends even played on the Haida Bucks basketball team when they were younger. That's how HaidaBucks got its name:

HaidaBucks = Haida Nation Men!

Misty

The Queen Charlotte Islands (HaidaGwaii)are an archipelago of islands that lie 60 miles off the northcoast of British Columbia and about 40 miles from the Alaskan Panhandle. They are rugged, pristine, and unique in character- an environment diverse in natural elements and wildlife species with unusual subspecies. For instance, our indigenous black bears are larger than their mainland relatives. Our rainforests present conifers towering over lush under growth of shrubs, ferns and mosses. The rain fills our streams and lake with clean water to support the life abundant in them. Our beaches are awesome in their beauty and bounty, inviting you to harvest delectables, listen to the heartbeat of the mighty Pacific, watch whales frolicking, hear the screech of an eagle, or just mediatate on the powerful impact of nature on one's soul
Despite what some in the "lower 40's" think our climate is temperate. Some winters we don't even get snow. However we do experience a lot of wind and rain. I personally like the wind and rain, find them comforting knowing they are a major factor in the creation of the essence of these islands. Their sounds and sights are far more seductive than noises and neon lights that contaminate your senses in urban area.
Masset is a small village on the northern most tip of the Charlottes. This is where Haida Bucks cafe is situated. We have a very unique lifestyle here and it is appropriate that we have an unique coffee house.
The Charlottes, also known as Haida Gwaii, are rich in Haida culture.. There is many examples of their native art such as carved totems, silver and gold jewelry, argilite carvings.The owners have incorporated some of this native art in Haida Bucks. Darrin and Willis are the Haida, descendents of those who have lived on the Charlottes for thousands of years. They were born here and has lived most of their lives on the Island. Willis currently is director of the Recreation Center here in Masset. He has always been involved with sports, particularly basketball. He was instrumental in setting higher athletic standards and strengthing the basketball traditions of the North Coast, both as a player, and as a representive of North Coast First Nations. Darrin is a general contractor and is a councillor on the Band Council involved in the management of the affairs of Old Masset, the First Nation element of our community. Darrin's mother who is nearly 80 years old still teaches Haida culture at the school here. She is appalled Starbucks taking advantage of their power to
intrude and interfere with traditions that have been carried on for centuries. A contigent of Haidas have recently gone to Chicago to facilitate the return of artifacts from a Museum that they lost control of years ago. Now it seems like Starbucks wants to deprive them of some more abstract artifacts such as the right to be proud of their Haida "Bucks"

GregDixon

Apr 22, 2003
Visit site
Starbucks versus Haidabucks

I think the people with the rights to Daddy Warbucks should take a look at
the use of the name Starbucks.

I also will boycott Starbucks and encourage everyone to do the same in
response to this ridiculous legal action.

May the company join its namesake at the bottom of sea.

G

Haidabucks vs Starbucks

Normally I might think the "little guy" was being the victim -- except I saw the article in the Province newspaper and in it was a photo of the HaidaBucks cafe.

The logo on the outside shown in the picture looked remarkably like the logo belonging to Starbucks. The main differences were the the HaidaBucks logo was in wood rather than the green and white of Starbucks, and there appeared to be native art in place of the mermaid.

Other than that they looked too similar. The logo that appears on the actual HaidaBucks web site looks quite different. That would be the first thing to do -- change the logo. Next, add a space between "Haida" and "Bucks" to make them distinct words, which would further back up the argument that "Buck" is a term for a person.

G

"haidabucks"

Star"bucks" must not be doing all that well to go after a small cafe that they have absolutely no inkling about its "customers or owners"
And who is stealing whose name?
I plan to go to the charlottes this summer and I am definately going to "haidabucks cafe" as for "starbucks" I will no longer step into one. And that message is being passed on to everyone I know within a three mile radius of star"bucks"

G

Haidabucks

:shock: Starbucks, gone the way of the majority of Corporate America. All Bucks$$$, no heart. I will never buy a Starbucks product again. I have been randomly dropping off flyers to Starbucks patrons to let them know just who they are supporting. Canadians will stand up for other Canadians who are being bullied by Uncle Sam (or his double). Let's make our Heart felt and stay away from Starbuck. A double expresso boycot!