Starbucks - why the hype?

momof3qc

Sep 7, 2006
Montreal, Canada
Visit site
OK - I've seen that the Starbucks controversy has been beaten to death on this forum, but I've never had an opinion myself because there just wasn't one anywhere near me. I happened upon one today, and thought it would be fun to try something unique - something I might be able to sell in my shop. I ordered a MEDIUM Eggnog Latte, which cost me $5.25. It tasted like overly-sweet, very milky coffee... absolutely no hint of eggnog... I almost wonder if I got someone elses coffee. YUCK! Not to mention I burned my tongue on the first sip... how hot do they froth that milk to? I mean, I was about the sixth cup made from the same pot of frothed milk. Anyone know how hot they steam the milk to? And if I were to try and make eggnog or gingerbread lattes myself, what flavor syrup is used?

Thanks!
Kim

What is the hype? Fat and sugar.

This just lifted from the Starbucks web site:

Eggnog latte is 510 calories and 29 grams of fat. 19 grams of saturated fat. Behold! the power of cheese! And 39 grams of sugar. Let's see, that is the equivalent of 10 teaspoons of sugar. Yum!

Eat drink and be merry, for tomorrow, your arteries will clog. But you'll die with a smile on your cherubic face.

Comfy Place

Jul 15, 2006
Bloomer, Wisconsin
Visit site
Egg Nog

As far as steaming the milk, my guess is that they *should* be doing it to around 150, but that doesn't mean that they follow that. Get any hotter and they would be scalding the milk/egg nog, which would make it taste bad.

As for how to make them, we offer lattes and steamers of egg nog. We use the real deal and steam it, no flavors or junk like that. Plus, ours are more reasonably priced than Starbucks, but still higher than our regular steamers and lattes. Another issue is with steaming so much milk at once, which we try not to do if we can. We prefer to do each drink individually, which makes a better overall product for the customer. Gingerbread - we will be using a syrup for these, but only for a limited time (of course). Cheers!

equus007

Apr 4, 2006
Austin, Tx
Visit site
eggnog

We always cut our eggnog lattes w/ whole milk so that it would froth more evenly which is what Starbucks does as well I believe. I always hated making them knowing that every cup I served cut about two years off the customers life expectancy...did convince a few peope that I could make scrambled eggs if I steamed it for too long though. Also one of the only drinks that goes well with spiced rum.

SactoMike

May 24, 2006
Elk Grove, CA
Visit site
The Hype.....

I usually drink their dark coffee at Starbucks. If I drank that flavored stuff that's over 500 calories, I'd weigh over 250lbs!! I go for the grande dark blend with room for cream and 2 splendas.
Plus I like that I can bank on the same tasting coffee that's poured in Seattle, Sacramento, San Jose, etc.
Check out www.starbuckseverywhere.net for the hype.

GloriaJeans

Dec 4, 2006
Visit site
I think when it comes to Starbucks, their name calls out convenience and predictability, rather than just coffee. When you go into a Starbucks, you usually know approximately what you'll get (if not exactly) and approximately how it will taste.

The truth is, I work for a coffee company and yet I still go to Starbucks regularly even though our coffee here at work tastes SO MUCH BETTER. For me it's convenience, which you cannot always get with other companies. You don't see Gloria Jean's stores on every corner like you do Starbucks. Therefore, we do not always fully choose where we go. In fact, often times we only have access to one coffee shop at any given location, and chances are it will be Starbucks.

What can I say, most people I know are true creatures of habbit, including myself.

Boris

Coffee_Addict

Dec 9, 2006
Visit site
i had a starbucks at the new Barnes and Nobles bookstore in my town and it was alright. I have had better coffee. i'm not sure why some people think starbucks is the best. i mean $1.80 for a large cup of coffee?! I can go down to sheetz and get a better cup of coffee large size for 99 cents.
sorry. just a rant. :D

sharon_tang

Dec 10, 2006
Shanghai,China
Visit site
sharon_tang said:
in starbucks the milk should be steamed to 150--170 F,it is the better temperature for italian style coffee.
i love starbucks ,not only because i am a partner of starbucks,but also because when we offer satisfied service to our customs , their feedbacks make me feel successful .
there are more than 80 stores in Shanghai, China.welcome you to Shanghai Starbucks , i believe you will have a nice experience here.

xam2006

Jan 3, 2007
Ada, Minnesota
Visit site
momof3qc said:
OK - I've seen that the Starbucks controversy has been beaten to death on this forum, but I've never had an opinion myself because there just wasn't one anywhere near me. I happened upon one today, and thought it would be fun to try something unique - something I might be able to sell in my shop. I ordered a MEDIUM Eggnog Latte, which cost me $5.25. It tasted like overly-sweet, very milky coffee... absolutely no hint of eggnog... I almost wonder if I got someone elses coffee. YUCK! Not to mention I burned my tongue on the first sip... how hot do they froth that milk to? I mean, I was about the sixth cup made from the same pot of frothed milk. Anyone know how hot they steam the milk to? And if I were to try and make eggnog or gingerbread lattes myself, what flavor syrup is used?

Thanks!
Kim

A Grande Eggnog Latte should only be $3.99 (I don't know what kind of tax rates your state has, but thats a really high rate). I'm not sure how there was no hint of eggnog, because there is no syrup, it is actual eggnog (like the kind you can buy in your dairy section). Our machines are set to 160 degrees, so if it is hotter than that you should go back and ask them to check it out. If you want to make an eggnog latte just steam eggnog like you would milk and add your espresso shots and Starbucks does sell Gingerbread syrup. Hope this helps! I as well as sharon_tang am a partner at Starbucks and agree with the customer feedback.

billagirly

Mar 29, 2005
DFW, Texas
Visit site
momof3qc said:
And if I were to try and make eggnog or gingerbread lattes myself, what flavor syrup is used?

Most everyone makes a gingerbread syrup. Look up your favorite usual brand of syrups and look at their lineup. For starters, Froogle "Gingerbread syrup" - it mostly comes up with Da Vinci, Monin, and 1883.

redbutterflycafe

Jan 11, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Visit site
eggnog latte...pfft...

I am a slave to starbucks for going on 3 years now, and i must say, convience is a true statement, but is it worth the money and bitter burnt coffee aftertaste? My husband always tells me that i always come home smelling like burnt old coffee. mmm mmm.
For you eggnog latte fans, if you want to taste more eggnog and less milk/coffee, ask for less shots of espresso.
They have to steam the eggnog with NONFAT milk, not whole milk. Otherwise you cant hear the person next to you speak, because of how loud the sound of the steamer is. (eggnog is SO thick)

For Iced beverages, not too sweet- I recommend the Ice Caramel Macchiato. My favo.

Starbucks IS over-rated.

atomic

Jan 26, 2007
North Augusta, SC
Visit site
factors

Well, there are more than a few factors to the Starbucks hype and its questionable meaning --

• Most Starbucks customers are relatively new to specialty coffee and haven''t tried other independent shops- it really kicks butt compared to Folgers or Maxwell House, doesn''t it?
  • Starbucks has grown so much, so fast over the last couple of decades that I think it''s finally reached an unmanageable point for consistent quality. Some Starbucks shops are pretty okay and others are really bad. It especially depends on the locale - big money maker locations like Manhattan are really important to Starbucks corporate and receive more training and management attention. A Starbucks at a Barnes & Noble in a small town might not be so great.

But I can only think of a couple of those factors, many of them as there certainly be.

jessa0301

Jan 28, 2007
Dayton, Ohio
Visit site
too hot?

I read your post and had to chuckle. I frequent starbucks and in fact I always order my drinks extra hot because to me they are always warm. If I pick up a grande (medium there) drink to take to work I find myself microwaving my cardboard cup 2-3 times otherwise b/c it cools so quickly. I have not had the eggnog... and now I probably won''t! Thanks for the feedback...