Starbux re-training?

BaristaBrian

Feb 27, 2008
Boca Raton, Florida
Visit site
Customer Service
(i.e. Connecting with Customers)

Pouring the \"Perfect\" shot of espresso
(How long it takes to pour, how long it can sit there, the look, like color and texture)

Steaming Milk
(How we steam the milk, how much to use, how the milk should taste)

and overall...

Why All The Above are so important.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
Brian..are you the guy I met at the Boca Mall? Are you guys using a super auto? and if so I guess they didn't have to teach tamping and grind settings...oh well welcome to the forums. I do have another question. Have you had guests ask about the training or maybe asked why your company needed a re training?

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Ouch, I thought I might prod a little too. :twisted:

There is nothing wrong with more training. People forget things, change things, and or even pickup bad habits. I think everyone needs to have mandated training sessions once a year. This way you can stay on top of your skill set as well as learn new ones.

I almost always have retraining sessions once a year and they are mostly hosted by our distributors to make sure we are always on top of our game.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
There is a lot of information about Tuesday's training posted on the Starbucks Gossip web site.

If you go to this Starbucks Gossip web page:

\"Small coffee roaster makes fun of Starbucks'' training session, offers free coffee on Feb. 26\"

http://starbucksgossip.typepad.com/_/20 ... ee-ro.html

If you look for the topic page that says \"Small coffee roaster makes fun of Starbucks'' training session, offers free coffee on Feb. 26\" and you scroll down to several postings on Feb. 20, you will see that someone posted the whole training agenda there. You just have to look for it. It is amazing how much information you can get there.

Many of the customers that I saw in Starbucks the next day politely asked how the training went, and they said that it was wonderful that Starbucks was providing its employees with the opportunity to refresh and re-energize their espresso making skills. I don't think they thought of Tuesday night as an initial training or re-training.

After you read the agenda and the training scripts, you will see that it was a very good training, and a great team building experience. I bet it was much better than some independent coffee shops provide for their employees.

Rose

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
ccafe..I would love to be in on some training...you going to the next scaa show?? We can have a pint and talk about emergency training... :wink:

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Well from my little understanding of how things work, me boss twas thinking about sending little ol me. So most likely I will show up for a couple of days worth. Besides its a small drive to Minneapolis, its only 4 miles farther then my farthest client.

BaristaBrian

Feb 27, 2008
Boca Raton, Florida
Visit site
topher said:
Brian..are you the guy I met at the Boca Mall? Are you guys using a super auto? and if so I guess they didn't have to teach tamping and grind settings...oh well welcome to the forums. I do have another question. Have you had guests ask about the training or maybe asked why your company needed a re training?

No, I don't believe I've met you anywhere. I work at the starbucks close to Shadowwood movies in west Boca. But during our three week renovation I will be working at the starbucks store in the mall. They did re-teach us how to tamper with the grind settings(again). We already knew or should have known, but it was almost never checked like it should be. Now the stores should be checking the timing of shots hourly. And yes, LOTS of guests have been asking... "Why were you closed?"; "What was the re-training about?"; "What new things did you learn?"; "Why did you have to be retrained?". Which all of those questions were answered. And thank you for welcoming me to the forums. =]