STARTING A SHOP-cheap w/ no loans

jmhunter

Nov 30, 2004
Visit site
Here is a question. Everyone here tends to talk that you need 80k to open a walk-in store. I don't see where those numbers come from. Please pull the mask from my eyes.

I have secured a coffee supplier that will provide me with equipment (2 group espresso, drip systems, and grinders) as long as I sign an exclusive supply agreement with them. That cuts about 15k or a lease out of my budget that I dont have to cover.

I have devised to put a coffee club stamp card on the java jacket. That will encourage recycling of product.

I also want to run a small gaming / internet business, to allow internet access and gaming through a group of 5 PCs and 4 Xbox's linked.

Only thing I haven't worked out, is the most important, location. I want a place that I can setup one side as the computer/gaming area, and the other side as a quiet sitting area with comgfy couches.

I have added up most things including initial stock and I haven't peaked above 30k, including the computers and xbox's.

Obviously Some places alter the structure, and change/add walls. I really only want to put one wall in (hopefully), and I will do the work myself.

Where else is the cost. I don't see it.

JavaQueen

Oct 18, 2004
NY
Visit site
Where are you located? Have you priced out an average PSF rent for buildings in your area? What size building are you looking to get?

There are a *lot* of things you didn't mention that will eat up your monthly $$, but rent is usually the biggest. :-D

thebean

Dec 2, 2004
Visit site
starting up cheap

Hi,
I too believe you can start up cheaper than all others - I own my own building and am looking for a coffee supplier - have a bunn airport coffee brewer I picked up at a foreclosure auction - am looking for espresso - who did you get for supplier - I too am looking exclusively. Any help would be great -- thanks

jpscoffee

Nov 3, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
JM,
You also have to remember that the range of coffee shops is huge. They range from a cart to a drive thru; from a "hole in the wall" to the fancy, big city shop; from the low-budget, low sales to the high-budget high sales coffee shop.

It depends on where you are, what you want to create, and what you need to live on. There are SO many variables it is impossible to throw out averages, because each persons situation varies so much. My brother opened a small "red-neck" town coffee shop for a boatload less than my shop cost. But, his traffic is much smaller than mine and his desire is different than mine.

My initial buildout 11 years ago for a 2000 sq ft place was about 70K. That was buying everything and working my butt off. Since then we have remodeled and put a lot more into the biz. But, our sales volume justified it.
Ciao

everydaygourmet

Nov 15, 2004
Visit site
it's like building a house. You can build a 2500 sq ft. house for 175K or 375 K. If you are talking coffee shop-

how much are YOU going to do?

Consultants? Designers? Architects? contractors?

Lighting fixtures: Home Depot ones or Custom made?
Granite countertops or Home depot pre-forms?

It swings wildly.

My rent may be $500 and twice the square footage vs. yours.

Do you have to do a Build out? or do you just bring in the counters tables and machines and hang your now open sign ( lighted neon, custom made or the one that looks like a yard sale??)

all adds to the bottom line.

my 2 cents-

P.S. - I just went through opening a catering and drive thru.(my first) however I have been around the foodservice/construction business my entire career as a rest. owner or a salesman/vendor.

It get s away from a guy (or gal) in a hurry if you are not careful.

Plan for as much as you can afford, and save where ever you can (usually your sweat efforts) and you MAY hit your budget- I never have.

Take your $$ amount, add 20% and MAYBE you'll be within 10% if you are very good. Murphy's law applies to everything.

my 2 cents. Good Luck

everydaygourmet

Nov 15, 2004
Visit site
PS - if you can do it with no loans....GREAT,

However, Have the cash in case you go over (Line of credit, credit card...falling short of money when you are almost done, causes you to make mistakes you will regret later)

a position of strength is the ONLY position to be in when you are buying anything. (and that is what youa re doing....buying a ton of things and services)

Good luck

Omega

Nov 12, 2004
Chicago, IL
Visit site
AnSade Gourmet Coffee said:
Hi, I am opening a gourmet coffee shop in the next few weeks and I am very much interested in the suppliers that you have. I am going to provide Expresso, and flavored Coffee. I am open to suggestions from anyone wishing to help.

AnSade
AnSade Gourmet Coffee, please check your spelling on the most important word. :shock:

everydaygourmet

Nov 15, 2004
Visit site
Omega said:
AnSade Gourmet Coffee said:
Hi, I am opening a gourmet coffee shop in the next few weeks and I am very much interested in the suppliers that you have. I am going to provide Expresso, and flavored Coffee. I am open to suggestions from anyone wishing to help.

AnSade
AnSade Gourmet Coffee, please check your spelling on the most important word. :shock:

I have to chuckle at this response......

You know, call it small town (or hicktown, I'm one. I know it, proud of it) :-D but there are a lot of people (yes some in the coffee business) who call it "Expresso".

I know a very successful roaster, and coffee shop owner, who calls it "Express-O".....and so do all of his employee's.

Bugs the crud out of me.... :wink:

but hey, life's too short to drink bad coffee, or sweat the small stuff.

:D :lol: :D

sorry, indulge me here....too many late night "Shots" of great espresso!

My Favorite drink:

"Quad-runners" - 4 Shot Americano :-D :-D :-D

bacstge

Jan 8, 2005
La Mesa, CA
Visit site
everydaygourmet:

You posted your favorite drink as:

My Favorite drink:

"Quad-runners" - 4 Shot Americano

Intersting drink! There is a small independent shop in Hollywood where I picked up a "Quad-Runner" one day - thought it was a clever name...

everydaygourmet

Nov 15, 2004
Visit site
bacstge said:
everydaygourmet:

You posted your favorite drink as:

My Favorite drink:

"Quad-runners" - 4 Shot Americano

Intersting drink! There is a small independent shop in Hollywood where I picked up a "Quad-Runner" one day - thought it was a clever name...

they are actually selling "Quad-runners?" dang it... I thought I had came up with that :oops:

I have never seen that before for a coffee offering, it came from a nickname my friends and I coined in college for for 4 shots of Crown Royal on the Rocks...with a 1.oz splash of Pepsi/coke. (Color)

SO I decided to call it that, and make a juiced up Americano-

People Like it, as our coffee is very very smooth. No burnt taste at all. Lots of dark red/brown crema...makes the Americano :-D :-D :-D gives em a bit of a boost for sure.

Let me know if that shop has it on their menu, or if You orderded it.

I was not clear on that.

thanks- enjoy!

I

espressomaniac

Jul 8, 2004
Tacoma
Visit site
starting points

You want to do coffee, you need a commisary, ie. 3 compartment sink/w drain boards, mop sink to mop with and double as a spot to dump your waste and/or route your drain through.

From there you'll need service and work areas, all have to be easily cleanable, then the floors, wall eye candy as well as keeping it all easily cleanable "yet again". The Lan setup is cake for any monkey with the basic skills in that area. What are the games you want to deliver upon? Why is it that office/hotspot applications haven't been taken into the equasion, it sounds like you are going for at least a t1 if you want to expand outside of the LAN, reccomended.

Anyway, the advice I'll give you is what has been given me repeatedly. Focus upon "one" business, don't try to be all things to all people, at least publicly otherwise people will think you are going to be too overly taxed to handle their needs. "hehe, you and I know full well that this is not the case in reality as to what you can do, but it's just what the public is thinking nothing more" (from my experience).

lattegirl

Jan 12, 2005
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm planning to eventually open up a coffee shop. I'm at the concept stage right now though. :) I would like to gather information on how to come up with an estimate on the startup capital. I know I need to think about the rent, equipment cost, material cost, and etc. How do you figure out costs on a monthly basis?

Any help is great appreciated!