Starting new small roastery. In what used to be an old nick nack store. Need advice.

I have been roasting small 5lb batches for almost 2 yrs now. I got my llc last year. Have been selling to friends and family. Would like to sell in grocery stores and local cafe's. I need a packaging area. So am looking into this old building. Rents dirt cheap. Very classic storefront. Screams coffee shop. But right now i just need packing area. Front is old wood floor. sturdy but not for kitchen. Back room is concrete and needs fixed up. There is a small walkway between about 8' by 8'. Can i make that my packing area to save time and money.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Usually your facility needs to be classified as a Food Processing Plant by the FDA if your going to sell wholesale. That includes having at least a hand sink and building with cleanable surfaces - check with your local health dept.

Thank you for your reply. Yes, they do want 3 bay wash sink, hand wash sink, and cleanable surfaces. I guess i was hoping i could get some ideas on how to do this inexpensively. I wonder if i could fix up the small area, put doors on it to seperate, and later use profits to fix rest of building.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Thank you for your reply. Yes, they do want 3 bay wash sink, hand wash sink, and cleanable surfaces. I guess i was hoping i could get some ideas on how to do this inexpensively. I wonder if i could fix up the small area, put doors on it to seperate, and later use profits to fix rest of building.

Are you planning to roast the coffee beans at your house, and then take them to the rental space and package them there?

It sounds like you're still going to need to follow the rules and install the 3-part sink, the hand sink, and probably some stainless steel tables that can be sanitized. At the very least, you and your employees (if you have them) are going to need a hand wash sink so you can wash your hands before handling the beans - whether you use food-safe gloves or not.

~ Rose

Thank you for your prompt response. I will do small batches at home on roaster i built. Then transport bout 3 blocks away to building. Was planning on using formica counters, a 3 bay sink, and hand wash sink. Both r stainless stl. What is the cheapest way to codify the walls and floor and ceiling? Any ideas.