Startup Information

JavaQuest

Dec 16, 2004
Baltimore, MD
Visit site
Hello All! I am a new member and spent a couple of hours today reading through the forum. There is a lot of good information here. It's good to hear so many people doing well in the business and seeming to like what they do.

I have put together a business plan for a coffee shop in Maryland and would really appreciate some input on some of the numbers I am basing it on.

Payroll: 25% of Gross Sales
Rent: 10%
Product Cost: 25%
Paper, Cups, Supplies, etc,: 6%
Utiltities: 3%

Average Price of an espresso based drink is $2.41
Average Price of a cup of brewed coffee is $1.38
A shop can use 130 to 210 pounds of coffee in a week at an average of 38 drinks per pound.

Any input would be appreciated.
Thanx,
JavaQuest

cafemakers

Nov 3, 2004
Visit site
Hi JavaQuest,

The number that really jumps out at me from your figures is the volume of coffee that you are planning to use, thus implying your volume of sales. Am I correctly interpreting that you plan to regularly serve 700-1200 beverages per day, 7 days a week?

This is certainly possible, we have customers in very high traffic areas with established brands that can do this, but I would be interested to know what metrics were used to anticipate customer traffic. It seems a little risky to plan your expenses on a percentage of sales when that sales revenues figure is an unknown variable.

Best of success,

Andrew

JavaQuest

Dec 16, 2004
Baltimore, MD
Visit site
Hello Andrew,
Thank you for replying. I don't actually expect that I could use even 100 punds of coffee in a week. The 130-210 was a quote that I mostly placed there for the 38 drinks per pound info.

I would like to use 100 pounds per week, which appearently would yield 3,786 drinks. I'm looking at upwards of $.50 per cup product cost. Is this realistic?

A better question... What is the percentage of Gross Sales that you spend on Product Cost Inventory, Supplies (cups, etc.), and payroll?

Scott

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I think that includes retail sales of coffee. I read over the stats on your e-imports link....or should I say skimmed...one thing that through me was the average cup size used.... The average coffee cup size is 9 ounces. I haven't seen cups under 12 oz being used regularly since the early to mid 90's...just curious

Ellie

Dec 27, 2004
GA
Visit site
How did you come up with 38 cups to the pound? I am also doing research in advance of opening a coffee bar, and this info is helpful to me. I have been trying to get a handle on what product sales mix to use - out of total coffee sales, what percent could be expected to be espresso, cappucino, etc. etc. To the group: what have you experienced owners found?

Thanks for your input!

ElPugDiablo

Ellie,

I was wondering about that too, until I backed some numbers into it,

1 pound = 450 grams

brewed coffee, assuming average order is 16 oz,
16 oz cup of coffee = 12 grams
450 grams / 12 grams per cups = 38 cups

espresso, assuming equal amount of single and double shots orders, then average order is 1.5 shot
1 shot = 8 grams
1.5 shot = 12 grams

I think as a rough estimate, it's a good starting point.

everydaygourmet

Nov 15, 2004
Visit site
ElPugDiablo said:
Ellie,

I was wondering about that too, until I backed some numbers into it,

1 pound = 450 grams

brewed coffee, assuming average order is 16 oz,
16 oz cup of coffee = 12 grams

espresso, assuming equal amount of single and double shots orders, then average order is 1.5 shot
1 shot = 8 grams
1.5 shot = 12 grams

I think as a rough estimate, it's a good starting point.

I would agree, that # is pretty darn accurate - we use 35 drinks net per lb (dialing in shots, grinder adjustment, waste, etc) as our basis. and it seems to hold pretty darn true in our first month of being open.