startup inventory and equipment

beanvenus

Mar 10, 2005
Philadelphia
Visit site
I've been devouring the threads in this forum. I'm finding the information and advice very informative and helpful.

I have a question which is similar to one which was asked in a thread, but I wasn't able to find a response. Please forgive me if I've overlooked the response.

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:42 am Post subject: Looking for equipment list

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am in the process of launching a new coffee shop. This will be my first shop. I am looking for a list of standard equipment for your "typical" coffee cafe. Does anyone have anything like that or can you recommend a good website or book where I can find the information?

Thanks,

MJB

I would also like to add to this request, a list for startup inventory.

Thanks in advance to anybody who can respond to this question.

joeburr

Feb 19, 2005
Visit site
the list

Hi.
Take a good look at your menu.
Brake every item to all its ingrediants.
Truck every raw ingrediants moovment from the time it came in the door to the time it goes out the door as a ready product.
Example: Single espresso: 1) SHELVES for coffee. 2) GRINDER to grind.
3) ESPRESSO MACHINE. 4) CUP to serv.
Dont forget anything.
Good Luck

Chris Kay

Feb 1, 2005
Visit site
Depends on what you want to do.
Youll need a fridge for milk.
Wash up basin.(Plumber and electrician for equipment)
tables and chairs.
cash register (Dont forget that)
Stock.
Oh this is such a general question.. how long is a piece of string?
What you must ask yourself is what do you really want to do in your place?
Food?
Cakes?
sell beans?
just coffee?
loungy set up?
in and out set up?
it all depends on what you want.

beanvenus

Mar 10, 2005
Philadelphia
Visit site
That was a very general question wasn't it. ((loved the string analogy)) Thank you for your responses. Every bit of information is helping to fleshout my ideas toward my business model.

I'm looking at a coffee shop which can also accommodate a light lunch, soup, panini, salad and also the usual morning fare, muffins, bagels, croissants. I have thoughts of including granita for seasonal appeal.

I'll be shooting for an evening crowd with comic entertainment and byob with a cork fee.

I'm looking at a space with a main floor of 2700 sq ft and a mezzanine of 900 sq ft.

Does this help?

BeanGrinder

Aug 11, 2004
North Georgia, USA
Visit site
Where are you located? I know an excellent equipment supplier that has been in the business for years. He can roll out all the gear you need and help you think of things you hadn't thought of. In about two phone calls he had my shop outfitted, set up and ready for business! He is honest to a fault and works hard at saving me money and supplying me with advice - he knows it is to his advantage to help me be successful. I'm working on location #2 right now, with location #3 not far behind it.

Next to Topher, I can't think of anyone in the business you could want to get to know more than this guy. But his focus is in our region, so you might be too far away to benefit.

beanvenus

Mar 10, 2005
Philadelphia
Visit site
Congratulations on the success of your shops, it's great to hear positive outcomes.

I would love to find an equipment supplier like yours. I'm just outside of Philadelphia. I know there are some large restaurant equipment suppliers in Philly. I've just started to investigate them. I'm working on my business model and I'm finding the tail wagging the dog.

Getting information on this forum has been so very helpful.
Keep it coming, this is great!

Thanks again!

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
Hey B.A.:

You might want to visit a Starbucks or simular coffee shop and use their shop as a model to see some of the things you may need to outfit your location. For example, tables, stools, chairs. Other things like table tents on the tables, merchandising displays for pasteries and whole beans, other equipment like grinders, etc. Once you've come up with an idea of your total equipment list then find an archutiect to draw up your plans on how to fit everything in it. Keep in mind that space disappears very quickly once you start adding equipment and furnishings. Word of advice, since this is your first location try to keep your costs under control as best as possible. Change orders add up very quickly and depending on your budget and how you want your location to look have a great deal to do with how well you plan things. I'm sure you have your operational plan drawn out already, if not, it would be a good idea to hire a proven consultant to assist you in this area. And last but not least, find yourself a good roaster that can not only roast great coffee, but also educate you on the coffee you are serving...present company included :wink:

Well that's my two cents, hope this has been some help. You can also pm me if there is anything else I might help you with.