state/federal regulations

ekrockford

Mar 21, 2004
Michigan, US
Visit site
I have contacted my state about pertinent regulations for a roasting plant. First of all I/m not even sure that coffee falls under the food category ? the state sent me a booklet that seems to model itself after some FDA regulations. It may be different in different states, but could anyone help me out as to who or what departments regulations I have to comply with to roast commercially. Also, this may be a local ordinance but is it possible to roast small quantities commercially out of your home ?

Thanks.

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
Your biggest challenge is going to come from the "Clean Air" people. They are the ones you will mainly have to please. To do this you will have to pay for a number of permits etc. Secondly, work as best you can with any agency that the government recommends. This will save you a lot of headaches in the long run. As for operating a roasting facility from your home, check the zoning requirements in your area. You might be able to find something that will allow you to do so. Don't guess at anything because it may prove spendy if you make big mistakes in the beginning.