Strange green coffee beans

Cafe_loco

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
I have a Colombian friend who just returned from vacation near Bogota. She brought me back a good quantity of green beans grown and processed by her uncle there.

I have been roasting my own coffee for about 2 years and have never seen a green coffee like this. It is very lightweight and has a bit of a yellowish color, almost like coffee after it has just started roasting.

I roasted the coffee like I usually do and stopped the roasting during the second crack. When I removed the roasted coffee it looked rough and I realized that almost none of the hulls had separated. I had to rub all the beans between my hands to crack the hulls away. Inside were small and perfectly roasted beans, but I''m not sure if it will be worth the trouble doing this for every batch I make.

Has anyone else had an experience with a coffee like this or know if perhaps this is indicative of a certain kind of coffee or a certain kind of processing?

Thanks

equus007

Apr 4, 2006
Austin, Tx
Visit site
second

agreed. They were not dried all the way or possibly they are trying to do an African style unwashed process. Either way it sounds like it just wasn't done yet. if you have a hand cranked drum you can try tossing a bag of marbles in with the beans and spinning the hell out of it after roasting and then shaking the beans on a screen. The marbles should settle to the bottom fairly easily.
-I knew I would be able to use my archaeology degree at some point.

Davec

Oct 18, 2006
Old England (UK)
Visit site
Agree with Topher, sounds like the coffee was still covered in the "Parchment" layer or "in pergaminol" as they say. Very strange, but mabye they thought you had a hulling machine at home. :-D