Substitute for Lactaid & Soy Milk.... or Just a Recipe that works....

marc9

Apr 16, 2022
San Diego
Visit site
Hello....

I've been making a blended Frappuccino Coffee drink for myself that uses the following:

1/4 Cup Coffee Concentrate Cold Brew (homemade)

1/3 Cup Lactose Free 2% Milk

4 Tbsps. Vanilla Syrup Sugar Free

1 Cup Ice

1/8 Tsp Xanthan Gum

This all goes into a Vitamix Blender on Medium Speed which resulted in a 1/4- 1/3 approx. increase to 7 cups/24ozs in overall volume and produces very thick and uniformly creamy drink.

Please note the Xanthan was a later addition that improved the uniformity of the Lactaid mixture, but the drink before its addition was still nicely creamy.

My issue now is that my doctor has recommended I stop all Milk related products. I have substituted Soy Milk for the Lactaid, and I have been unable to replicate the Lactaid's ability to provide a smooth, non-icy drink. The Soy Milk substitute (same proportion) mixture fails to increase in volume and thicken and the resultant liquid is icy and thin. Your suggestions on a non-milk product (other than Soy) and/or a different formulation to provide a suitable end result would be greatly appreciated...

marc9

Apr 16, 2022
San Diego
Visit site
Am I correct that the small amount of fats in the milk are what create the body and volume (creaminess) that is expected? A quick check on your suggestion of carrageenan revealed that it was once an ingredient of some Soy milks and other products, but removed due to fears of health risks..... not what I had expected. Xanthan Gum appears to perform the same as carrageenan in most cases.

LoreFor

May 11, 2022
Denver
Visit site
I used to drink a lot of coffee. I enjoyed it with milk every morning. But one day, I noticed some irritation on my skin right after I had my usual coffee cup. I was very worried about my health problems, and I did not know what to do. My mother suggested approaching an expert from http://intolerancelab.co.uk. He recommended running a food intolerance test, and it turned out that I was allergic to milk. I was a bit disappointed, but my doctor suggested using almond milk to substitute for the normal milk in my coffee which I did. I have to say that it tastes even better now.

Last edited:

marc9

Apr 16, 2022
San Diego
Visit site
The purpose for me was to eliminate Milk (in my case Lactaid - Lactose Free ) as a cause of Bladder irritation. I went 3 weeks of No Milk / Lactaid and nothing changed, so I'm back on it. I was looking for the mysterious formula that would permit me to continue my morning milkshake like Coffee Drink. I threw as much science at it as I could find, but could never replicate its original silky thick consistency. Some alternate Milk products such as Oat and Almond don't play well with Coffee.