Sudden Hyper-sensitivity

shingo

Feb 10, 2008
Visit site
Hi,
I drank coffee regularly but in no excess of 3 cup/mugs a day for about the last 7 or more months. I then got ill and had a sickness bug which was going round at the time (this may have no importance but I thought i would mention it just in case). Anyway after this I seemed to be incredibly sensitive to caffeine and get very panicky/paranoid/racing thoughts/anxious and gnerally uncomfortable even at the smallest dose, such as 1 coffee or a bit of tea.
What could have caused this sudden change? Have I developed an allergy? The good news is that I am completely fine when I withold from ingesting caffeine but it is a great shame that I cannot even drink tea anymore which I really enjoyed and have large collection of different loose leaf varieties.
If anyone else has had anything similar could they perhaps leave some advice, and even if you havn''t do you have any idea of what this is all about, will it go away after time etc (it has been like this for about the last 2-3 months)?
Thanks in advance for any help on the matter :)

davidsbiscotti

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Turns out that becoming sensitive to something can be the first stage of a full blown allergy.

People can develope a sensitivity or an allergy at any time.
In this case, your sensitivity to caffeine began shortly after recovering from an illness. It's possible that your immune system was altered or weakened, increasing the potential to develop an intollerance for caffeine.

Has your diet has changed since your illness?
Have you experienced the same symptoms from decaf?

These are just some thoughts on the coffee end of things.

On another level, these extreme symptoms you mention: "racing thoughts/panicky/paranoid/racing thoughts/anxious", if followed by depression and sadness, could be bipolar disorder. Look into it.

Being in food service for a couple of decades now, I've had the opportunity to learn from my customers who have told me of their countless allergies. I couldn't believe some of them.

Humans are sadly becoming allergic to things that are completely natural. I have to put warning labels on my baked goods that say "WARNING: CONTAINS WHEAT, ALMONDS, SOY". Ultimately, it's coming down to the individual's immune system and it's intollerance for proteins (which by the way are also found in the coffee bean) and other natural elements.

Oops, I'll save my rantings for another day, sorry.

shingo

Feb 10, 2008
Visit site
Hi,
Thank you for your post Davidsbiscotti. My diet hasn't changed since my illness and symptoms do not seem to persist when using decaf varieties. It probably is best to go and see a doctor and look into the Bipolar area to be on the safe side.
But I have some good news that although this has lasted a good few months I seem to tolerate tea a lot better now I can't think of any lifestyle changes I have had but at the moment I am just pleased that I can drink my tea.
I'll wait a while before I attempt coffee again though justincase it is a conditioned response from a past illness and not a continuing allergy.
Thanks again.

Morten

Mar 12, 2008
Visit site
If it''s an allergic reaction, then you should feel the usual symptoms before the chemical imbalance messes with your neurons (the usual symptoms being some of the following: rash, cramps, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, runny nose, watery eyes, wheezing and coughing).
Your GP can determine whether you''re allergic by a prick test or alternatively a blood sample.

Actually coffee is known to have an immunosuppressive effect, by leading to an increase in plasma epinephrine (- Adrenaline is given in cases of anaphylactic shock).

pgard

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
My diet has not transformed since my illness and symptoms don't appear to persist when utilizing decaffeinated types. It most likely is better to visit and find out a physician and consider the Bipolar area to become safe and sound.

However I have what's promising that even though this has survived a great couple of several weeks I appear to tolerate tea better now I can not think about any change in lifestyle I've had but right now I'm just pleased will be able to drink my tea.

I'll wait some time before I aim coffee again though justincase it's a conditioned response from the past illness and never a ongoing allergy.
Many thanks.

Last edited:

NSV

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Hi!
I have been rounding on circles with the caffeine thing… two years ago I used to drink an espresso every day in the morning. Some Fridays two coffees. This took me 3 yrs. So, suddenly I started to have nose bleed! First, it happened overnight then, in the morning and finally, any time of the day. In the beginning, I was bleeding of my nose (drops) several times a day/night, few weeks later I started feeling a lot of pressure in my head and frequent headaches. It seemed that my head would blow up. The bleed nose became critical! What leads me to believe that must be caffeine cause-related is because at that time, I tried not drinking coffee for 2 weeks and the bleed nose decreased as well as the pressure, headaches but on the other side, I felt dizzy, strengthless, no energy. I took 3 cups a day of tea instead even though I was feeling myself sleepy. Anyway, I decided to stop drinking coffee and now, curiously, whenever I feel like trying a cup of coffee per day, 2 or 3 days, I feel again, that pressure in my head, my nose starts swollen and I finally, bleed. It seems that I can’t unfortunately drink coffee. Particularly, I have also a thyroid disorder and I am not sure at which point it is relevant on the issue. Could you pls. help me to figure out what can it be? Thank you, NSV:-D

Last edited:

CJA

Sep 20, 2011
Washington D.C.
Visit site
NSV,

Not sure how relevant my experience is, but I know that a drastic and/or sudden change in caffeine intake could possibly cause some unusual (and likely unpleasant) effects. Up until July 2006, I drank almost 10 cups of coffee a day. Then I got a physical and my doc said stop, advising me to significantly reduce intake to 1-2 cups. I did, all in one weekend, and suffered from the change for months until I finally re-adjusted to 2 cups a day. For those 4 months or so, I got headaches, sweats, chills, eye pressure...you name it. But since I got used to the 2 cups I've been fine.

Ultimately, seeing your doctor might be the best place to start just to be safe than sorry. Good luck with everything.

Chris

NSV

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Hi,
Fortunately, I found out the reason why I cannot drink coffee or even some kinds of tea, or even drink hot chocolate... I have hypothyroid (condition in which the thyroid gland doesn’t make enough thyroid hormone), but I never imagined that this could be the cause for the caffeine, tea, chocolate rejection. I have read a lot about hypothyroidism then, I went to my endocrinologist who confirmed everything. Well, at least I have the alternative of getting some decaff. Thanks, NSV

CJA

Sep 20, 2011
Washington D.C.
Visit site
NSV,

So glad to hear you have the answer now to your problem. I know that just figuring out what was ailing me (before I'd even fixed it) was a huge lift, given that I thought I'd suffer forever without knowing why.

Chris

Caruga

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Though what the OP describes is rare, the case is not unique. See explanation and video at: clinicalposters.com. Search site for "coffee migraine"

Last edited:

robcox1980

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
To avoid this, you should sweep carefully and with just enough stress to totally clean the oral cavity area without damaging your gum area.

I also suffer from a newly acquired sensitivity to caffeine. For me, it leads to anxiety attacks where there is tightness in the chest and shortness of breath. Around five months back I had an attack after a night of relatively heavy drinking (preceded by months of nearly daily moderate drinking; red wine). As best I can tell from the research I've done it was a panic or anxiety attack. Ever since I am extremely sensitive to alcohol, caffeine, and nicotine - basically any substance that messes with blood flow. Before this I was drinking around four to five cups of coffee Monday thru Friday for roughly seven years.

Recently I had some blood work done and I got back something saying that I have a thyroid issue. I've always had a fast metabolism so I'm not sure if maybe it's related to my thyroid deal or not. Noticed some other things on here about thyroid and caffeine being connected so I wanted to weigh in my experience. If I am correct my issue resembles hyperthyroidism.