Suggestions for non-fruity coffees

Microfiche

Mar 19, 2023
Kelowna BC
Visit site
I just started roasting this year, got a Fresh Roast SR800 and have roasted about 22 lb so far of various coffees, a half pound at a time.
We really like Ethiopian Yirgacheffe coffees - medium to full city roast is maybe one of our favourites.
I track with Artisan and have added 2 thermocouples to the SR800, usually roast from a few minutes past FC to SC start.
Early on in roasting, I got some Columbia Paula Concha 20 Brix beans and we really hated it, like WAY too fruity - didn't seem to matter what roast I did. I threw half of the beans out.
My assumption after quick research was this was at least partially tied to the natural processing and I haven't bought a natural processed bean since.
I have likely thrown the baby out with the bathwater though - so is there anyone else out there who is NOT a fruity coffee fan who knows of some nice natural processed beans I might try?

I have roasted and liked all these up to this point:
  • Honduras - Bon Cafe – Organic
  • Kenya - Wahundura Muranga - AB SL 5188
  • Sumatra Dolok Sanggul Desha Dogul – Washed
  • Colombia Huila - Timana
  • East Timor Fairtrade Organic
  • Ethiopia Yirgacheffe Kerchanshe G2 Washed
  • Papua New Guinea A/X - Kuta Mill
  • Zambia - Isanya & Nsunzu Estates - AAA RFA Washed
  • Costa Rica - La Pastora Tarrazu - SHB EP
  • El Salvador - Finca Montevideo Microlot
  • Ethiopia Yirgacheffe - Adado - Grade 1 Washed
  • Guatemala Huehuetenango - AAPICAFI - Organic
  • Burundi - Murambi Hill
  • Guatemala Huehuetenango - Finca La Providencia
  • Papua New Guinea - Korgua Estate X
  • Costa Rica Tarrazu - Florfina
  • Ethiopia Yirgacheffe- Halo Hartume - Grade 1 Washed

Last edited:

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
If you don't want fruity, don't go with naturally processed coffees. That is, the whole intent of that fermentation process is to impart fruity notes. Of those listed, I would start with the Guat from La Providencia... excellent farm and top-notch balanced coffee.

Microfiche

Mar 19, 2023
Kelowna BC
Visit site
If you don't want fruity, don't go with naturally processed coffees. That is, the whole intent of that fermentation process is to impart fruity notes. Of those listed, I would start with the Guat from La Providencia... excellent farm and top-notch balanced coffee.
Yes -the list is all coffees I have roasted and enjoyed, and we did enjoy that one!
I had asked my green bean supplier the same question and he suggested that not all natural processed coffees have a strong fruity taste - specifically he mentioned Brazilian coffees which he said are mostly processed that way. Specifically he mentioned this blend - which I have coming in today.
So I was hoping to expand my horizons a bit.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Yes -the list is all coffees I have roasted and enjoyed, and we did enjoy that one!
I had asked my green bean supplier the same question and he suggested that not all natural processed coffees have a strong fruity taste - specifically he mentioned Brazilian coffees which he said are mostly processed that way. Specifically he mentioned this blend - which I have coming in today.
So I was hoping to expand my horizons a bit.
Ah... didn't realize that was a list you have roasted/thought it was the list of available green. I have carried the Providencia for 3 years.. .always solid. Depending on the flavor profile you are after - look for a washed / central American. Great coffees from Guat / Colombia / Costa Rica (great but expensive). Other alternatives to explore are African washed... Ethiopia / Tanzania / Uganda. Ethiopians will be expensive due to their political system... IMO Tanzania are some of the best mid priced coffees.

Microfiche

Mar 19, 2023
Kelowna BC
Visit site
Well, I roasted a half pound of the BRAZIL - WOMEN IN COFFEE beans a couple of days ago and will try them in the next day or so. Taking a quick sniff this morning of the beans seems to have some fruitness to it, but nowhere near as overpowering as the Columbia Paula Concha was. Also roasted some naturally processed Monsoon Malabar for the first time that we will try shortly.

Microfiche

Mar 19, 2023
Kelowna BC
Visit site
Well, this bean roasted to about 3 minutes past first crack - now all in the garbage.
WAYYYYYYY too fruity for us. Damn.
I have a 1/2 lb. left, will try it past second crack to see if I can roast that demon fruitiness out. 😒

The Monsoon Malabar is actually quite unique and quite nice. Also naturally processed but no fruitiness at all, but I dropped that one just after second crack started.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
I have tried natural, honey, washed, wet hulled, etc. and have done 6-700 lbs since starting, just for personal use/gifting. I definitely prefer natural over all else and am not a fan of fruit fwd coffees. I have no problem muting any natural fruit notes. Have you tried many/any blends yet? I have a solid favorite that I could live on as it's just by far my all time favorite and not very costly either.

Microfiche

Mar 19, 2023
Kelowna BC
Visit site
I have tried natural, honey, washed, wet hulled, etc. and have done 6-700 lbs since starting, just for personal use/gifting. I definitely prefer natural over all else and am not a fan of fruit fwd coffees. I have no problem muting any natural fruit notes. Have you tried many/any blends yet? I have a solid favorite that I could live on as it's just by far my all time favorite and not very costly either.
The beans I have roasted are listed in my initial post at the top.
I have added to that list this week the Women in Brazil blend that I just dumped and a natural processed Monsoon Malabar that we quite like.
If you have any other suggestions - I am glad to hear them!
UP to this point I have been buying here - it is close and fast shipping -

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
The beans I have roasted are listed in my initial post at the top.
I have added to that list this week the Women in Brazil blend that I just dumped and a natural processed Monsoon Malabar that we quite like.
If you have any other suggestions - I am glad to hear them!
UP to this point I have been buying here - it is close and fast shipping -
Having tried lots of SOs, I rarely find one really worth buying again. Most promising for me on the SO end were dry process Brazilian offerings. Think milk chocolate, molasses and a hint of pecan/caramel finish... Some have been superb, but still just dig a quality blend all around. FWIW I roast specifically for espresso and this green just kills it for me and I have tried many blends from quality sellers.

thesamestranger

Sep 18, 2023
Usa
Visit site
In general, I am a beginner in the field of coffee and I am interested in learning different tips and facts. In general, I really like to drink coffee in a cafe. Recently I was in a wonderful cafe, I liked it so much that I left my wallet there. I found mezeh customer service and they returned my wallet. It's wonderful that there are still such good people

Last edited: