Superautomatic Espresso Machines

uclatl

Mar 22, 2005
Visit site
My current, "semi-automatic" espresso machine is presently in the shop and that got me thinking about possibly buying a "Superautomatic" machine. I am looking for help from current owners of SuperAutomatics as to whether they are happy with their purchase in terms of performance and dependability. If you have a particular machine to recommend or warn against, that data would be helpful too.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Well for starters what type of machine are you currently using?

1. Do you want to stick with that brand?
2. How large is you budget?
3. Do you want to stay with a residential machine or would you think about a commercial machine?

Most Super Autos for home use run from the high end of $2500 to as low as $400 for a base model. I would try to avoid any type of machine you can pickup at Wal-Mart or other discount store that sell for $200 or less. They tend not to give the quality as advertised and the life expectancy is about as long as a Dirtdevil vacuum cleaner for $35.

Jura Capresso is a decent line. Their low end machine C1000 runs around $800 and the Impressa S9 sells for around $2200. They even make a 24K gold F9 that sells for $4000 looks great but the original F9 retails for $1800.

Solis makes a nice super auto as well. I have a Solis Master 5000 at home. Makes great shots but it is a little slow at steaming. I have also used a Solis Palazoo it was fun to play with. The Master starts out around $600 and $1000 for the Palazoo.

I have never used a Saeco Vienna de Luxe, but I have heard mixed reviews. But I have heard the same on all the above.

As for Commercial line, there are only 4 that really come to mind that stay under $12,000.

The Nuova Simonelli Microbar I believe runs around $6000 - $7000. It’s a great machine but my only complaint is the bean hopper is a little small for a commercial machine.

The Jura X line, and the Frankie both seem to run around $4500 and up. I have never used either but I have a lot of people tell me they both run great.

Last but not least, the Cimbali M2 Two Step retails around $10,000. This is a great machine especially if your running a small coffeehouse with surges of high traffic. It’s rated at 180 shots an hour or 160 capps an hour.

beans

May 28, 2004
Visit site
Jura Z5

Jura has a new super auto coming out called Z5 that is a little more expensive than S9 but is suppose to be a pretty decent machine. It is not being shipped out of Europe yet, but I was told by a support person at All 4 Coffee that they expect them in May. The selling point of the machine, I think, is that you never have to move the cup. It brews and adds milk to the cup all in one step. For us, this may be the machine that we have been looking for for a reasonable price - roughly $3200.

co2beans

Mar 19, 2005
san antonio texas
Visit site
ACORTO this is what starbucks uses. so i just bought one, i bought the acorto 2000s makes 300 consistant shots per hour. and i know where to get a used one for about 2300.00$. brand new they go for about 12000.00$ these machines are really nice.

tommieann

Mar 7, 2005
Visit site
I would like to know where to purchase the ACORTO

co2beans said:
ACORTO this is what starbucks uses. so i just bought one, i bought the acorto 2000s makes 300 consistant shots per hour. and i know where to get a used one for about 2300.00$. brand new they go for about 12000.00$ these machines are really nice.

I was told by Starbucks they use the Ambiente. So, they must use different brands. I would also like information on where to purchase the used ACORTO.

tommieann

Mar 7, 2005
Visit site
What a Ripoff

testike said:
Metareware is giving away free Jura Capresso maybe you should check it out :

Good Luck on your supposedly FREE Espresso Equipment. I was on site for 30 minutes with there offers and unless you sign up for about 10 offers, which you have to pay for, you won't get the machine. Thanks for your information, but obviously you haven't tried it yet.

Deej

Mar 7, 2005
Oakland, CA
Visit site
uclatl said:
My current, "semi-automatic" espresso machine is presently in the shop and that got me thinking about possibly buying a "Superautomatic" machine. I am looking for help from current owners of SuperAutomatics as to whether they are happy with their purchase in terms of performance and dependability. If you have a particular machine to recommend or warn against, that data would be helpful too.

I received a Starbucks Barista Digital Italia this past Sunday. On Tuesday it gave up the ghost. The steam during frothing just stopped working. When I spoke with tech support and told them that the display was flashing between 'Steaming' and 'Select Shot Size' they said that there was an unfixable problem with the programming and that I should send it back for an exchange or for a refund. Since they are backordered to July and he told me that the machine is discontinued as of the end of the sale on April 12th I opted for the refund. Also, since this machine could be nonfunctional from a software glitch I am rethinking the whole superautomatic thing. The Starbucks by the way is the same as the Saeco Italia so be aware in choosing one over the other although I expect you already know this.

I love the idea of supers but I don't want something so delicate that without warning I become coffeeless. I know that there are those who have had this machine without incidence but I've heard enough complaints about it that I can't disregard it now that it's happened to me. I will look at the supers once again to see if there are any 'standouts' and given my short but new firsthand experience maybe I'll find something sturdier, but I doubt it. Those semi's are looking pretty good with the gleaming chromed brass, the nickel plated copper boilers, the pressure and temperature gauges, E61 brewgroups, 3-way valves, etc.

Can anyone help me out with a great superauto that won't be a repeat performance of the Digital Italia?

crayf

uclatl said:
I am looking for help from current owners of SuperAutomatics ..clip..
Hi Uclatl,
Did you get your Simi back or did you decide to get yourself a Super?
For what it’s worth, I purchased my Jura Capresso Impressa S90 Super-Automatic in Apr. 2001, so I’ve had it now for 4 years. I think it retailed for $2100, I paid $1600 from www.wholelattelove.com.

It was unclear if you are looking for a commercial or home machine. While the Jura S90 could be considered a low end machine for a small bar/restaurant i.e. small output, I believe it is considered a high end home machine.

It’s truly a super automatic as it is a one button operation from grind/pat/pre moisten/brew/and clean. It has several buttons to chose from for single/double shots as well as espresso or an American cup (The latter I must say I’ve never used). It also allows detailed adjustments for each of these buttons so that you can perfect exactly how much copy/water/temperature you want individually. It even has a cumulative counter on how many shots are made. (ours now up to 3900+)

It’s provided me a rich beautiful shot with a heaping head of crema every time. And it’s 100% consistent which is more than I can say for the starbux I settled with prior to doing-it-myself.

The S90 came with a frothing container that you fill with milk and keep in the refrigerator. When you’re ready, you connect it to the frother and it produces froth directly in the cup. When you’re done, you place the container back in the refrigerator. However, you can still froth the old way as well should you choose.

Now, I decided to do my own home roasting. Hence, this is what brought me to this forum. I bought an I-Roast, and 30 x 1 lb. samples of coffee
from around the world and am now absorbing the wealth of knowledge (and opinions) here.

The coffee is better that I could have ever imagined…
Good luck finding a model the fit’s your style.

fiagt2

Jan 12, 2005
Visit site
Have been using a Jura S9 for about 4 months and love it. My wife and I have at least one large cup per day.

Will have a Miele superauto installed in my office by Friday. I will compare the two Super's to see which on is the best over the long term.

gmpirate

May 5, 2005
Visit site
I'm not sure if we are talking about commercial or personal machines here.

We have had the Franke 2-step, which sells for about 9K to 10K, (auto grind and brew with separate steaming wand) for about four years now. Its a great machine when it is working. When we originally purchased the machine the maintenance issues were not fully supported -- meaning there were no programs in place to keep the machine in good form. We have have times we have been without the machine for days or even 2 weeks once. There are expensive parts in the machine that local service companies do not stock.

While it appears the industry is heading in this direction, based on our experience I don't feel fully automatic machines are reliable enough. One of the main benefits is less training. The flip side of that is you have to train the employees preventitive care on the machine which they require a lot of. There are not too many companies out there who can repair these. Being stuck with one is not a good position to be in. We are in the Los Angeles area where support has been scarce.

We are opening a couple new locations right now and are in the process of cancelling two automatic machines in favor of the tried and true manuals. We are looking into the automatic grinders, however, like the La Marzocco Swift grinder.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
I will say I do agree with you to a point. There are quite a few companies that sell super autos but have horrible support. I have never liked Jura for that reason. Good machine, bad support. I would suggest that you take a look at the Cimbali M2. It was built with simple maintenance in mind. I have already installed a few since it was introduced a few months ago.

I love it from a tech standpoint. Easy to work on, plus a lot of the parts that they used are backwards compatible with most of the Cimbali line. This eliminates not having the parts on hand. I will see if I can get some good pictures of the machine both on inside and out posted on my site for people who are interested.